JOB ADVERT: PUBLIC HEALTH SPECIALIST (HIV/TB CLINICAL TEAM LEAD)
Announcement Number: Yaounde-2019-04
Hiring Agency: Embassy Yaounde
Position Title: PUBLIC HEALTH SPECIALIST (HIV/TB CLINICAL TEAM LEAD)
Open Period: 02/21/2019 Format MM/DD/YYYY
Series/Grade: LE - 0550 12
Salary: XAF FCFA32,842,483
Promotion Potential: LE-12
Duty Location(s): 1 in Yaounde, CM
For More Info: HR Section, firstname.lastname@example.org
Job holder is a senior TB/HIV program manager and key public health technical advisor to the Country Director, who is responsible for programs conducted in the area of HIV-Tuberculosis (TB/HIV) co-infection services. TB/HIV is a cross-cutting intervention that is integral to all HIV/AIDS activities. Job holder’s responsibilities include an active technical advisory role to the Ministry of Health and implementing partners, day-to-day program and administrative management, and coordination and collaboration with other PEPFAR agencies to ensure project implementation addresses program strategic objectives and U.S. and host government national and international public health standards and best practices. Both the advisory and managerial roles require public health technical leadership, results-oriented analysis, advocacy, and constant and clear communication with the Ministry of Health, other host government ministries, implementing partners, and non-governmental organizations (NGOs). Jobholder represents CDC-Cameron on TB/HIV co-infection issues at technical, policy and strategic planning meetings, including meetings with collaborators and donor agencies.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- EXPERIENCE: Five years of mid-to-senior level public health experience developing, implementing and evaluating TB/HIV programs or other relevant HIV public health programs that involve coordination with an international agency or implementing partner is required. One additional year of experience at the managerial level with multiple staff is required.
- JOB KNOWLEDGE: In order to support the host government and implementing partners in the development and strengthening of effective services for those who are co-infected, a cross-cutting professional knowledge foundation in both TB and TB/HIV activities is required. This would include detailed knowledge of current TB/HIV infectious disease issues, behavior change, counselling, care, testing and clinical interventions related to Tuberculosis and HIV treatment for co-infection. Detailed knowledge of the host government health care system and structures including familiarity with Ministry of Health policies, program priorities and regulations is required. Detailed specialist knowledge of agency TB/HIV public health programs, policies, regulations and precedents applicable to the development and administration of national/international public health programs funded by PEPFAR is required. Good working knowledge of team management techniques to plan, organize and direct multi-disciplinary project teams and activities is required. Good working knowledge of overall administrative requirements in support of memoranda of understanding and cooperative agreements is required.
- Doctor of Public Health (DrPH), Doctor of Medicine (MD) with specialty in Internal Medicine, or Doctor of Medicine (MD) with Master of Public Health (MPH), or Doctor of Philosophy, public health or epidemiology (PhD), or a Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) (European equivalent to a MD) is required.
- LANGUAGE: Level IV (Fluency) speaking/reading/writing English and Level III (Good Working Knowledge) speaking/reading/writing French are required. (This will be tested)
- SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Strong oral and written communications skills are required to develop and maintain effective, sustainable working relationships with national and international working partners and to accomplish reporting requirements. Strong managerial skills are required to operate independently with limited direct supervision of day-to-day activities and to lead results-driven project teams and workgroups. Ability to analyze, understand and discuss new program design, management and implementation approaches is required. This includes the development of evaluation designs, use of reliable and valid instruments, and methods for data collection, analysis and reports. The incumbent will be expected to exercise considerable ingenuity and tact in applying PEPFAR guidelines to TB/HIV public health settings, as the programs are highly complex and can be threatening to stakeholders. The ability to influence other collaborative organizations engaged in HIV/AIDS treatment programs to adopt appropriate strategies for improving the programs for patients with TB/HIV co-infection is an important skill required for this position. Intermediate user level of Microsoft Word, Excel, and databases is required. Strong skills in interpretation of program monitoring and evaluation data are required. This would include the ability to understand and synthesize numerical data. (This will be tested)
- EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
HOW TO APPLY
All applications must be submitted online, through the Electronic Recruitment Application (ERA) system, to be considered.