JOB ADVERT: Automotive Mechanic
Announcement Number: Yaounde-2019-05
Hiring Agency: Embassy Yaounde
Position Title: Automotive Mechanic
Deadline: 02/26/2019 Format MM/DD/YYYY
Series/Grade: LE - 1020 4
Salary: XAF FCFA6,279,741
Promotion Potential: LE-4
Duty Location(s): 3 in Yaounde, CM
For More Info: HR Section, email@example.com
Summary: The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
Basic Function of the Position: Serves as a mechanic repairing all cars, trucks, motorcycles, forklifts, generators, lawnmowers for State and Agencies (DAO, FAO, Peace Corps, CDC…).
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs routine and emergency repairs on all types of vehicles, to include gasoline and diesel engines, from tune-ups to complete engine overhauls. Diagnoses faults, requests necessary parts through the Auto supply shop to repair them. Performs brake and steering repairs, which affects safety performance. Performs preventive maintenance according to schedule. Replaces oil/air/fuel/filters and batteries according to manufacturer’s prescription. Adjusts wheel balancing, repacks and adjusts wheel bearings, torques cylinder heads, adjust valves, inspects distributors advance mechanism; replaces clutch plates and covers. Test drives vehicles before and after repairs. Reports problems and needs, and addresses suggestions to Mechanic Foreman and Motor Pool Supervisor. 70%
- Repairs and mounts tires on wheel drums, does wheel balancing after each repair or mount, washes vehicles after major work, maintains tools and work place in good order according to safety procedures; drives and operates forklifts, performs welding, minor electrical, electronic and air-conditioning repairs as necessary. Adapts replacement parts as needed. Removes GOV`s and POV’s from containers upon arrivals at post and does the make ready before handing over to customers. 15%
- Fills out reports detailing work performed. After each work, fills the Vehicle intermediary maintenance operations or the Vehicle full maintenance operations forms and send to the Mechanic Foreman. Follows up the fuel level by reading the gauges twice a week and sends the data to the Mechanic Foreman for action. Makes the general cleaning weekly, and keeps the work place clean daily. In all operations, applies all best possible safety standards. 15%
Qualifications and Evaluations
- EXPERIENCE: Two years journeyman level auto mechanic experience in a diplomatic mission, an international organization, or large local institution is required.
- JOB KNOWLEDGE: Have good knowledge of the functions of all parts of vehicles; names of parts; names and functions of tools and proper applications. Have basic knowledge of vehicle electronics and basic knowledge of computer MS Word and Excel applications.
- Completion of Elementary School and a vocational/technical diploma (CAP or equivalent) in automotive mechanics is required.
- LANGUAGE: List both English and host country language(s) by level and specialization. Level II (two) English and French are required. This may be tested
- SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Mechanical aptitude, driver’s license, ability to read and interpret vehicle manuals and repair instructions and Driver’s license. This may be tested
- EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and U.S. Embassy security certifications.
HOW TO APPLY
All applications must be submitted online, through the Electronic Recruitment Application (ERA) system, to be considered.