OPEN TO: CURRENT STUDENTS AT A UNIVERSITY, ADVANCED SCHOOL OR OTHER ACCREDITED HIGHER EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION
Position: Commercial Intern
Closing Date: August 09, 2017
Duration of Internship: Three Months Renewable (Not To Exceed Six-Months)
Work Hours: Not to exceed 40 hours/week
The purpose of the Student Internship Program (FNSIP) at the United States Embassy is to offer students accepted into the program the unique opportunity of experiencing a foreign affairs work environment. A student participating in this program is not an employee of the U.S. Embassy, or the U.S. Department of State, or the United States Government. The program is uncompensated and will not be used to displace any employee or to staff a position which is a normal part of the agency’s work force.
The U.S. Embassy in Yaounde has an immediate opening for two(2) Commercial Interns.
BASIC FUNCTION OF THE POSITION
Under the direct supervision of the Commercial Specialist, the Commercial Intern (CI) works in the Commercial/Economic sub-section promoting U.S. business interests and bilateral trade between Cameroon and the U.S. The CI works closely with the Commercial Specialist as well as the Economic Specialist and undertakes projects and tasks for the sub-Section.
Current university undergraduate or graduate student in economics, marketing, law, business administration, accountancy, management or related field is required.
2. Language Proficiency
Level IV (fluent) speaking/reading/writing English and Level II (Basic Knowledge) speaking/reading/writing French are required. (This will be tested.)
3. Skills and Abilities
- The candidate must be able to develop and maintain working level contacts in Cameroon’s public and private sectors.
- He/She must be able to obtain, evaluate, and analyze commercial data to prepare reports.
- He/She must have excellent formal presentation, public speaking, and communication skills.
- A persuasion skill is required under the scope of advocacy, tact and diplomacy in establishing relations between Cameroon and American business people.
- He/She must be computer literate (intermediate) in MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, and internet.
(Skills and abilities will be tested)
- The candidate should have a good understanding of the Cameroonian economy and that of the sub region, including trade patterns, commercial practices, financing practices, organizations, major industries, etc.
- He/She should have a good understanding of the “language” of business and economics, so as to successfully interact with the U.S. and Cameroonian business communities.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
- The candidate must be able to obtain a successful security and medical certification.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must submit the following:
- Statement of interest, which is available here (PDF 463 KB). CVs/Resumes are not accepted.
- Photocopies of official transcripts or diploma/degree illustrating good academic standing.
- Written permission from the educational institution. Recommendation letters from lecturers are not accepted.
WHERE TO APPLY:
Human Resources Office
P.O. Box 817, Tel.: 222-201-500, Ext 4006, U.S. Embassy Yaounde, Cameroon
POINT OF CONTACT:
- Telephone: 222–201–500, Ext 4006
- FAX: 2220-1500, Ext 4532