JOB ADVERT: Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Technician
Announcement Number: Yaounde-2019-12
Hiring Agency: Embassy Yaounde
Position Title: Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Technician
Deadline: 02/28/2019 Format MM/DD/YYYY
Vacancy Time Zone: GMT+1
Series/Grade: LE - 1210 4
Salary: XAF FCFA6,279,741
Work Schedule: Full-time - 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-4
Duty Location(s): 3 in Yaounde, CM
Telework Eligible: No
For More Info: HR Section/ email@example.com
Incumbent performs Journeyman HVAC Technician duties for all USG-owned and leased properties. Installs, maintains, and repairs air conditioners, refrigerators, freezers and air handlers. Is responsible for the entire Chilled water system, all pumps, motors, all piping associated with these systems, all controls, all compressors, fans, sensors, VAVS, filter packages, to include complete working knowledge of the Building Automation System. Performs journeyman level AC work including, installation, maintaining and repairing all Air Handling Equipment, maintaining and repairing all Chillers and associated pumping systems. Installs, maintains, and repairs all HVAC related items including duct work and air conditioners. Works as scheduled in rotation basis as duty technician on 24 hours basis. Incumbent receives work assignments from the Maintenance Electrical/Mechanical Supervisor through the HVAC Foreman.
- Operates, inspects, maintains and troubleshoots chilled water air-conditioning systems to include condensers, evaporators, centrifugal compressors, fan coils and air handler systems. Does welding, soldering and brazing of copper tubing and piping. Estimates material needed and is responsible for safeguarding materials and all tools used. Is responsible for safety during the use of materials and tools. Ensures clean up of work areas and all equipment. Ensures cooperation with and timely response to other technicians, such as masons, to ensure speedy completion of tasks. Monitors own performance, ensuring that jobs are done correctly and professionally, and performs tasks as assigned by the Facility Manager. Does work on air handlers. Provides PM on specialized refrigerant equipment. Provides assistance on generator electrical installations. Repairs and maintains air compressors. Makes sure necessary tools, equipment and material are used to complete assigned tasks. Is responsible for safety in the use of materials and tools. Services, repairs and maintains washing machines, dryers and gas or electric stoves. Must demonstrate complete competency in HVAC, BAS, Chilled water systems, pumping and distribution systems, heat exchangers, related drawings, operation and maintenance manuals, spare parts research, and stocking.
- Reviews Chillers, Control Panels, System Pumps required spare parts manuals and queries three vendors for prices based upon manufacturer part numbers and provides this information to procurement through the e-services purchase request form, then follows up with Procurement to ensure purchase and delivery.
- Maintains accurate run hour log, repair log, water addition log, chemical addition log, analyze internal working condition of each chiller to aide Facility Manager and Supervisors in identifying weak locations where problems will be forth coming.
- Performs diagnostic inspections on all external components of each chiller and internal diagnostic and in depth repair on the same.
- Installs new Split Pack Units and make sure proper installation practices are followed to include proper vacuuming times, proper system clean out times, and materials are used for replacement compressors. Makes sure recovery systems are utilized and properly maintained.
- Trouble shoots all AC/Chilled Water systems/AHU/FCU problems, properly diagnosing faults and identifying what parts require replacement before failure.
- Fabricates new sheet metal ductwork as required. Installs new pipe insulation as required. Install new metallic and plastic piping and piping devices like pressure gauge snubbers, valves, galvanized pipe and galvanized pipe nipples, copper pipes, Plastic Pipes, and where required Brass Piping or Tubing.
- Installs new Split Pack AC Units, and properly troubleshoots as required.
- Performs infrared scanning on all chiller control panels, electrical sub panels, and electrical items as associated.
- Twice monthly, checks inventory of spare parts on hand, to include spare parts that have had a funded purchase order assigned to a vendor and the status of those spare parts, and orders additional materials.
- in conjunction with Maintenance Supply, keeps a 4-month supply of required critical spare parts readily available inside Maintenance Supply.
- Surveys and ascertains that proper safety equipment is always available and knows how to use.
- Affixes updated tags to each equipment, pressure gauge, differential pressure gauge, temperature gauge, pump and control panel, to show replacement dates.
- Serves as backup to the other crafts as needed.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- EXPERIENCE: Two years of Journeyman refrigerator technician work experience in a diplomatic mission, an international organization, or large local institution is required.
- JOB KNOWLEDGE: Incumbent must be able to read instruction manuals for all tools required for performing duties, and also be able to read sketches and blue prints. He/She must have full journeyman knowledge of established practices and procedures of refrigeration trade, and must understand how to install and repair all refrigeration and air conditioning equipment. The jobholder must have basic knowledge of other crafts such as masonry and electricity, and also basic knowledge of Mathematics and Manometer.
- Completion of Elementary school plus secondary school diploma (CAP or equivalent) in refrigerator technician studies from a technical/vocational school or any accredited institution is required.
- LANGUAGE: Level 1 (Rudimentary) speaking/reading/writing English is required. This will be tested.
- SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Incumbent must be able to:
- use all tools of the trade such as tubing benders, power tools and welding equipment.
- read and interpret operation and safety procedures, understand operational drawings and technical publications and use the measuring/testing equipment, including test manifold, vacuum pumps, avometer digital clamp ampere, air speed gauges and air balance instruments, meager, electric leak detectors, etc.
- work independently
- perform all job activities and duties in a responsible manner to avoid the creation of safety or health hazards.
- conform to established safety and health policy and procedures.
- properly utilize appropriate personal protective equipment as required by the job activity.
- He/She must be capable of performing some heavy physical work; must report unsafe or hazardous conditions; and must inform supervisor of all accidents, illnesses and injuries. The jobholder must have a valid driver’s license (category B) and must be capable to drive. Skills and abilities will be tested.
- EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
HOW TO APPLY
All applications must be submitted online, through the Electronic Recruitment Application (ERA) system, to be considered.