UNFPA – National Communications Assistant
Official Job Title: National Communications Assistant (Humanitarian)
Duty Station: Buea, SW (With travel to other regions)
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Application Deadline: 13 February 2019
Starting Date: 20 February 2019
Duration: 3 months
Languages Required: English, French
UNFPA’s CO Country Programme Document comprises work in four key components: sexual and reproductive health (SRH), adolescent sexual reproductive health (ASRH), and gender and population dynamics. These components reflect the need for supporting the government at various levels to deliver on their ICPD commitments. There are ongoing humanitarian crises in the North West, South West, Far North and Eastern Regions of Cameroon. To address these crises, UNFPA Cameroon has put in place a humanitarian response program to complement the efforts of the broader UN response. This consultancy falls mainly under the humanitarian setting.
Under the overall supervision of the UNFPA Country Representative and the direct supervision of the Humanitarian Coordinator, the Communications Assistant will work closely with the Communications team in the development of communications plans and associated work to sustain the coverage of the ICPD, as a whole, with a specific focus on humanitarian activities, and to effectively demonstrate UNFPA’s role in humanitarian response.
This position will be based in Buea, SW, with travel to other regions, especially Bamenda in the NW
- Collect and provide information related to the humanitarian situation- while working closely with the Communications team- to ensure effective sharing and dissemination of our inputs for the development and support of the Country Office’s Advocacy and Communications strategy implementation
- Working with the Humanitarian Coordinator, consolidate information for Situation Reports and other relevant reports for UNOCHA, regional office and Headquarters
- Organize data and information, draft and compile documents, maintain records and manage communication plans for program implementation
- Assist in drafting, editing and proof-reading all materials; capturing key messages of UNFPA work in the humanitarian field and, to the extent possible, the development program; collating amendments from colleagues (including, but not limited to concept notes, brochures, press-releases, fliers, feature articles related to activities/events, human interest stories and any other public information advocacy materials)
- Preparing background communication and promotional materials for briefing the media and for high-level visits from UNFPA staff, goodwill ambassadors, donors, and others
- Assist in the creation and editing of photographs and videos. Managing the coordination of film and photography shoots / accompanying photographers and videographers
- With the Communications team, organize and provide support for special events and activities to promote country programmes (ICPD-25, UNFPA at 50, World Population Day, etc.)
- Work with the Communications team to use social media effectively; organize and manage the media archive related to the humanitarian response, as well as supporting the overall office archive
- Support the Communication team in maintaining a media events calendar, especially for humanitarian events
- Assist in conducting joint events and initiatives in collaboration with the UN Communications Group
- Perform other relevant duties and assist with other communications tasks as required from the country office, the regional office and other entities.
The Consultant will work closely with the international and national humanitarian technical teams. She/he will create synergies between the nexus of development and humanitarian response.
Education: University degree in communications, marketing, or related field
Knowledge and Experience:
Minimum of 4-5 years of progressive professional experience at the national level in communication. Proficiency in current Office software applications and digital platforms (distinct advantage: experience with Photoshop, PaintNet, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, Premier Pro, Scribus, Word, PowerPoint and other graphic applications); Experience producing communications materials (print and online) for a variety of media; good understanding of new and evolving technologies and proven experience in producing interactive web content
Strong English language skills and French
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing cultural diversity
- Embracing change
- Achieving results
- Being accountable
- Developing and applying professional expertise/ business acumen
- Thinking analytically and strategically
- Workings in teams/ managing ourselves and our relationships
- Communicating for impact
- Providing strategic focus on data analysis as related to reproduction health, population and development and gender
- Engaging internal/ external partners and stakeholders
- Leading, developing and empowering people/ creating a culture of performance
- Making decisions and exercising judgment
Functional Skill Set:
- Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda relevant to effective use of data for programming and decision making
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Delivering results-based programme
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization
APPLICATIONS IN FRENCH OR ENGLISH SHOULD BE SENT BY EMAIL TO CAMEROON.OFFICE@UNFPA.ORG. THE SUBJECT OF THE EMAIL MUST BEAR THE TITLE OF THE POSITION AND SENT NO LATER THAN 11 FEBRUARY 2019.
THE APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETE AND CONTAIN A COVER LETTER, A CURRICULUM VITAE, PHOTOCOPIES OF DIPLOMAS AND CERTIFICATES, AS WELL AS THE UNITED NATIONS P11 FORM DULY COMPLETED. ALL THESE DOCUMENTS MUST BE SENT AS ONE ATTACHMENT IN PDF FORMAT ONLY.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
UNFPA DOES NOT CHARGE ANY APPLICATION, PROCESSING, TRAINING, INTERVIEWING, TESTING OR OTHER FEE IN CONNECTION WITH THE APPLICATION OR RECRUITMENT PROCESS. FRAUDULENT NOTICES, LETTERS OR OFFERS MAY BE SUBMITTED TO THE UNFPA FRAUD HOTLINE HTTP://WWW.UNFPA.ORG/HELP/HOTLINE.CFM