UNFPA National Sexual Reproductive Health Expert
Official Job Title: Sexual Reproductive Health (SRH) Expert(Humanitarian)
Duty Station Buea, SW(With travel to other regions)
Type of Contract: Individual Consultant
Application Deadline 13 February 2019
Starting Date: 18 February 2019
Duration: 3 Months
Languages Required: English, French
UNFPA’s CO Country Programme Document comprises work in four key components: sexual and reproductive health (SRH), adolescent sexual reproductive health (ASRH), and gender and population dynamics. These components reflect the need for supporting the government at various levels to deliver on their ICPD commitments. There are ongoing humanitarian crises in the North West, South West, Far North and Eastern Regions of Cameroon. To address these crises, UNFPA Cameroon has put in place a humanitarian response program to complement the efforts of the broader UN response. This consultancy falls mainly under the humanitarian setting.
Under the overall supervision of the UNFPA Country Representative, the direct supervision of the Humanitarian Coordinator, and with the guidance of the SRH Specialist, the National Sexual Reproductive Health Expert will work closely with the SRH team in the development of SRH, ASRH programming and liaise with the gender-based violence (GBV) team on cross-cutting issues. The SRH Expert will contribute to the associated work to sustain the coverage of the ICPD, as a whole, with a specific focus on humanitarian activities; and to effectively demonstrate UNFPA’s role in humanitarian response.
This position will be based in Buea, SW, with travel to the other regions, especially Bamenda in the NW.
Major Activities / Deliverables
- Ensure that the Minimum Initial Services Package for Reproductive Health in Crisis (MISP) is implemented in our direct program, with implementing and operational partners
- Provide guidance and support to implementing and operational partners on moving from the MISP towards comprehensive reproductive health service provision
- Undertake analysis of trends, gaps and challenges in addressing major issues in SRH in emergency settings; provide regular feedback to the Humanitarian team on changing humanitarian dynamics at the regional level
- Participate and represent UNFPA in humanitarian coordination meetings, forums and advocacy events
- Monitor, evaluate and report overall achievements of technical indicators in UNFPA SRH program, including data in both the development and humanitarian settings
- Assist in advocacy by preparing relevant documentation, (i.e. project summaries, conference papers, donor profiles and participating in donor meetings and public information events) as assigned by the humanitarian coordinator
- Perform other relevant duties and assist with other SRH tasks as required from the country office, the regional office and other entities
The consultant will work closely with the international and national humanitarian technical teams. She/he will create synergies between the nexus of development and humanitarian response.
Education: Master’s degree in Medicine, Nursing, Midwifery or Public Health; having a MPH and MISP certification is an added advantage ( http://iawg.net/minimum-initial-service-package/ )
Knowledge and Experience
Minimum of 4-5 years of progressively relevant experience in implementing the MISP for reproductive health and liaising with counterparts in GBV and other cross-cutting sectors. The candidate will be experienced working with government institutions and donor organizations and be familiar with issues on population, gender, gender-based violence and youth. Familiarity with UNFPA/UN country operations and procedures is an asset.
Strong English language skills and French are required.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing cultural diversity
- Embracing change
- Achieving results
- Being accountable
- Developing and applying professional expertise/ business acumen
- Thinking analytically and strategically
- Workings in teams/ managing ourselves and our relationships
- Communicating for impact
- Providing strategic focus on data analysis as related to reproduction health, population and development and gender
- Engaging internal/ external partners and stakeholders
- Leading, developing and empowering people/ creating a culture of performance
- Making decisions and exercising judgment
Functional Skill Set:
- Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda relevant to effective use of data for programming and decision making
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Delivering results-based programme
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization
APPLICATIONS IN FRENCH OR ENGLISH SHOULD BE SENT BY EMAIL TO CAMEROON.OFFICE@UNFPA.ORG. THE SUBJECT OF THE EMAIL MUST BEAR THE TITLE OF THE POSITION AND SENT NO LATER THAN 11 FEBRUARY 2019.
THE APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETE AND CONTAIN A COVER LETTER, A CURRICULUM VITAE, PHOTOCOPIES OF DIPLOMAS AND CERTIFICATES, AS WELL AS THE UNITED NATIONS P11 FORM DULY COMPLETED. ALL THESE DOCUMENTS MUST BE SENT AS ONE ATTACHMENT IN PDF FORMAT ONLY.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
UNFPA DOES NOT CHARGE ANY APPLICATION, PROCESSING, TRAINING, INTERVIEWING, TESTING OR OTHER FEE IN CONNECTION WITH THE APPLICATION OR RECRUITMENT PROCESS. FRAUDULENT NOTICES, LETTERS OR OFFERS MAY BE SUBMITTED TO THE UNFPA FRAUD HOTLINE