UNFPA - National Gender-based Violence Expert
Official Job Title: Gender-based Violence Expert(Humanitarian)
Duty Station: Buea, SW (With travel to other regions)
Type of Contract: Individual Consultant
Application Deadline 13 February 2019
Starting Date: 18 February 2019
Duration: 3 months
Languages Required: English, French
UNFPA’s CO Country Programme Document comprises work in four key components: sexual and reproductive health (SRH), adolescent sexual reproductive health (ASRH), and gender and population dynamics. These components reflect the need for supporting the government at various levels to deliver on their ICPD commitments. There are ongoing humanitarian crises in the North West, South West, Far North and Eastern Regions of Cameroon. To address these crises, UNFPA Cameroon has put in place a humanitarian response program to complement the efforts of the broader UN response. This consultancy falls mainly under the humanitarian setting.
Under the overall supervision of the UNFPA Country Representative, the direct supervision of the Humanitarian Coordinator, and with the guidance of the GBV Coordinator, the National Gender-based Violence (GBV) Expert will work closely with the GBV team in the development of GBV programming and liaise with the sexual reproductive health (SRH) team on cross-cutting issues. The GBV Expert will contribute to the associated work to sustain the coverage of the ICPD, as a whole, with a specific focus on humanitarian activities; and to effectively demonstrate UNFPA’s role in humanitarian response.
This position will be based in Buea, SW, with travel to the other regions, especially Bamenda in the NW.
Major Activities / Deliverables
- Ensure that the minimum standards for Prevention and Response to Gender-based Violence are implemented in our direct programs, with our implementing and operational partners
- Provide guidance and support to implementing and operational partners on Humanitarian Guiding Principles, GBV Case Management, PSEA, Safe Referral and other key responses to GBV in the humanitarian setting
- Participate and represent UNFPA in humanitarian program-related meeting and liaise with partner organizations
- Undertake analysis of trends, gaps and challenges in addressing major issues in GBV in emergency settings; provide regular feedback to the Humanitarian Team on changing humanitarian dynamics at the regional level
- Monitor, evaluate and report overall achievements of technical indicators in the UNFPA GBV program, including data in both the development and humanitarian settings
- Assist in advocacy by preparing relevant documentation, (i.e. project summaries, conference papers, donor profiles and participating in donor meetings and public information events) as assigned by the humanitarian coordinator
- Report monthly on progress on all GBV programmes in the regions to the Humanitarian Coordinator, which include updates on the situation and emergency human security issues
- Perform other relevant duties and assist with other GBV tasks as required from the country office, the regional office and other entities
The consultant will work closely with the international and national humanitarian technical teams. She/he will create synergies between the nexus of development and humanitarian response.
Education: Master’s degree in Gender, Psychology, Social Work, Law, Public Health or Medical Sciences.
Knowledge and Experience
She/he will have 4-5 years of progressively relevant experience implementing the minimum humanitarian standards for Prevention and Response to Gender-based Violence and liaising with counterparts in SRH and other cross-cutting sectors. The candidate will be experienced working with government institution and donor organizations and be familiar with cross-cutting issues on populations, sexual reproductive health, and youth. Familiarity with UNFPA/UN country
operations and procedures is an asset.
Strong English language skills and French are required
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing cultural diversity
- Embracing change
- Achieving results
- Being accountable
- Developing and applying professional expertise/ business acumen
- Thinking analytically and strategically
- Workings in teams/ managing ourselves and our relationships
- Communicating for impact
- Providing strategic focus on data analysis as related to reproduction health, population and development and gender.
- Engaging internal/ external partners and stakeholders
- Leading, developing and empowering people/ creating a culture of performance
- Making decisions and exercising judgment
Functional Skill Set:
- Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda relevant to effective use of data for programming and decision making
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Delivering results-based programme
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization
APPLICATIONS IN FRENCH OR ENGLISH SHOULD BE SENT BY EMAIL TO CAMEROON.OFFICE@UNFPA.ORG. THE SUBJECT OF THE EMAIL MUST BEAR THE TITLE OF THE POSITION AND SENT NO LATER THAN 11 FEBRUARY 2019.
THE APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETE AND CONTAIN A COVER LETTER, A CURRICULUM VITAE, PHOTOCOPIES OF DIPLOMAS AND CERTIFICATES, AS WELL AS THE UNITED NATIONS P11 FORM DULY COMPLETED. ALL THESE DOCUMENTS MUST BE SENT AS ONE ATTACHMENT IN PDF FORMAT ONLY.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
UNFPA DOES NOT CHARGE ANY APPLICATION, PROCESSING, TRAINING, INTERVIEWING, TESTING OR OTHER FEE IN CONNECTION WITH THE APPLICATION OR RECRUITMENT PROCESS. FRAUDULENT NOTICES, LETTERS OR OFFERS MAY BE SUBMITTED TO THE UNFPA FRAUD HOTLINE HTTP://WWW.UNFPA.ORG/HELP/HOTLINE.CFM