Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF)
Job Title: HIV Clinical Services Officer
Job openings: 3
Locations: Littoral region/Douala
Reports to: HIV services Senior Technical Officer
Start date: July 1, 2019
Applications Due: June 28, 2019
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is a global leader in the fight against pediatric HIV and AIDS, working in 19 countries and at over 5,500 sites around the world to prevent the transmission of HIV to children, and to help those already infected. Today, because of the highly successful work of the Foundation and its partners, pediatric AIDS has been virtually eliminated in the United States. With a growing global staff of over 1,000—nine of 10 who work in the field—the Foundation’s global mission is to implement HIV prevention, care, and treatment programs; further advance innovative research; and to execute strategic and targeted global advocacy activities to bring dramatic change to the lives of millions of women, children, and families worldwide. For more information, please, visit our page: www.pedaids.org.
With funding from CDC/PEPFAR Cameroon for the Atteindre95 project, EGPAF is supporting the Ministry of Public Health and the Government of Cameroon to scale-up HIV Testing Services (HTS) to ensure that 95% of people living with HIV know their status, that 95% of them are initiated on ART, and that 95% of those on ART are virally suppressed. EGPAF is also supported by other donors such as Unitaid to implement innovative approaches for Early Infant Diagnosis of HIV and catalysing Pediatric Tuberculosis services.
To support the provision of integrated and comprehensive high quality of HIV care and treatment services in the Atteindre95 Project at supported health facilities of the Littoral Region.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Under general supervision of the HIV Services Senior Technical officer, he/she is responsible for:
- Implementation of HIV/AIDS Programme including ART and treatment of opportunistic infections;
- Support rollout of index case testing with a focus on newly or recently (0-12 months) diagnosed HIV patients;
- Be responsible for the diagnosis of therapeutic failure, opportunistic infections and co-infections, and the initiation of antiretroviral therapy, second- or third-line antiretroviral therapy
- Coordination and supervision of the HIV PMTCT (Prevention of Mother-To-Child Transmission) component;
- Diagnosis, treatment and management of patients with HIV and AIDS, and other co-infection like hepatitis C Virus infection, TB patients etc. according to National treatment guidelines;
- Keep abreast of new drug-resistant TB regimens and implementation of new drugs for drug-resistant TB and extensively drug-resistant TB
- Improve quality of care and treatment for patients with HIV and/or TB from diagnostics, to linkage, treatment and retention in care at health Centre, clinic and community levels
- Implement package of care for clinical management of advanced HIV disease and provide mentorship to facility staff;
- Provide care to all patients with respect for their uniqueness using informed judgment, individual competence and qualifications, and collaboration with the health care team.
- Assess patient’s physical condition on an ongoing basis throughout the continuum of care;
- Screen patients psychosocial and mental health status and refer them to specialized services when needed;
- Documents patient’s medical status during outpatient encounter;
- General clinical support to assigned hospital (Internal Medicine and Pediatric Departments);
- Ensure proper diagnosis, treatment and follow-up of patients with Kaposi’s sarcoma undergoing chemotherapy
- Keep the patient and/or family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to be followed
- Ensure ongoing training of the multidisciplinary medical/paramedical team in order to optimize the quality of care and empower the staff
- Manage the team under your responsibility, supervising performance, organising and scheduling shifts and rotations, directly participating in emergencies and on-calls if necessary
- Fill in patient files, collect and analyse medical data and participate in medical reporting
- Institutional relationships with the Hospital management team on HIV-AIDS;
- Support rollout of programmatic tools and guidelines of the Ministry of Public Health;
- Submit monthly summary reports to the HIV Services Senior Technical Officer and to the HIV service coordinator at their assigned facility regarding their clinical and programmatic activities.
Job Qualifications and Skills:
- Degree in Medicine with at least three years of working in clinical management of HIV patients (registration with the Cameroon Medical Council is mandatory);
- specialisation in Infectious Diseases or Internal Medicine would be an advantage;
- Very good mastery of Microsoft package (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) is mandatory;
- Fluency in French is a key requirement and working knowledge of English is an advantage;
- Strong work ethic and ability and willingness to work under pressure;
- Ability to work in team settings and willingness to learn;
- Team Building – Team building is a person’s ability to inspire and foster team commitment, spirit, pride, and trust. He/she also facilitates cooperation and motivates team members to accomplish group goals.
- Customer Service – Customer service is a person’s ability to anticipate and meet the needs of internal and external customers while delivering high-quality products and services and being committed to continuous improvement.
- Decisiveness – Decisiveness is a person’s ability to make well-informed, effective, and timely decisions, even when data is limited or solutions produce unpleasant consequences. He/she will also perceive the impact and implications of decisions
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit a CV and cover letter through the following link: HIV Clinical Services Officer
Screening of applications will be on a rolling basis. Please note that only shortlisted applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
Applications are only acceptable through the above link.