About our organization
The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) is an independent research institution which generates science-based knowledge about the complex role trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods. As part of the Centre’s work to bring tree-based solutions to bear on poverty and environmental problems, researchers – working in close collaboration with partners – are developing new technologies, tools and policy recommendations for increased food security and ecosystem health.
The Centre’s headquarters are located in Nairobi, Kenya, and research is conducted in 30 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) and receive funding from over 50 different donors.
Activities in the West and Central Africa Region (WCA) with Regional Office in Yaoundé, Cameroon are carried out in the Sahel, Upper Guinea and in the Humid Tropics zone. The Humid Tropics node (WCA/HT) has offices in Cameroon, Ivory Coast and the DRC. The node’s activities focus on participatory tree domestication of high-value indigenous fruit trees and medicinal plants with particular emphasis on marketing of derived products. The team consists of over 150 permanent staff members and, many collaborators from partner institutions, including the National Agricultural Research Systems.
To learn more about our organization, please visit our website: www.worldagroforestry.org
About the position
ICRAF is looking for the services of a Junior Scientist to be based in Yaoundé, Cameroon
Under the direct supervision of the Marketing Specialist/Focal Point for DRYAD activities in Cameroon, the incumbent will assist in providing technical support in designing; implementing and monitoring activities of the organizations implementing the DRYAD project as well as carry out research related activities.
Specifically, he/she will have the following responsibilities:
- Provide technical backstopping to Implementing Organizations and Community Forest groups in Dryad project in designing sustainable community forest enterprises in Cameroon
- Support and follow up the activities of Implementing Organizations and Community Forest Enterprises involved in the implementation of the DRYAD project
- Coordinate organization of DRYAD Project workshops, meetings and virtual discussions;
- Assist the project coordinator to liaise with strategic Ministries and Government structures relevant for the implementation of Dryad.
- Assist the project coordinator in the design, implementation, analysis and reporting of Dryad related research in Cameroon
- Assist in the implementation of other ICRAF research activities, especially those related to the DRYAD project
- Contribute to writing of technical notes, scientific articles, policy briefs
Contribute to fundraising
- Contribute in the writing of winning project concept notes and proposals
- Identify opportunities related opportunities for fund raising by exploring existing calls for concept notes and proposals
Qualifications, experience and skills
- A Master’s degree or equivalent in Geography, Forestry, Natural resource economics or any social science discipline ;
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in the forestry sector preferably in Cameroon or in the Congo Basin;
- Experience in community forestry and community forest enterprises in Cameroon is an advantage;
- Demonstrated ability in data collection, both primary and secondary data;
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Communicate fluently in written and verbal English, and working knowledge of French;
- Ability to present information in a concise and accurate manner, proven ability for preparing comprehensive documents and reports;
- Excellent technical knowledge of computer applications and systems, especially data compilation and analysis tools.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to pass on information clearly to users and to grasp difficulties perceived by users;
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, monitor and follow-up on pending matters under.
Terms of offer
The World Agroforestry Centre is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment. We believe that staff diversity promotes excellence and strongly encourage applications from qualified women. This position is on national terms and will be for an initial period of two (2) years, subject to a probation period according to the local labour law. The contract could be renewed subject to performance, continued relevance of the position and availability of funds.
How to apply
Go to http://worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf/vacancies
Applications for this position must include:
- A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position against the listed requirements and salary expectations,
- A detailed and updated curriculum vitae,
- The names and addresses of three referees, including telephone, fax numbers and email addresses.
All correspondences should be addressed to the Human Resources Unit, ICRAF West and Central Africa. Applicants should indicate: “Application-Junior Scientist, Cameroon” on their application letters and subject of email submissions.
Applications will be considered until the 3rd of June 2016 or until a suitable candidate is identified and selected.
Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
We invite you to learn more about ICRAF by accessing our web site: http://www.worldagroforestrycentre.org