A CALL FOR TENDER TO THE POSTS OF CONSULTANT IN MA GOVERNANCE STRENGHTENING INITIATIVE
In April 2020, following its own reform process conducted in 2019, IPPF has launched a global pilot initiative to support ten Member Associations (MAs) across the federation in strengthening organisational governance. The process will involve two phases:
- The analytical phase will involve an evaluation or SWOT analysis to review existing governance and its effectiveness against set criteria, including the effectiveness of governance oversight, the cost of governance and other factors.
- The development phase will involve support tailored to the specific needs of each MA as determined by the phase one analysis.
Under phase 1 of the initiative, the participating MAs will recruit a local consultant, in coordination with the project support team to conduct an in-depth analysis of their governance structure and functioning.
Objectives of the consultancy:
- To analyse selected MAs’ governance structures against international governance best practices, evaluating their cost-effectiveness, and the fulfilment of their governance roles including but not limited to setting the strategic direction, approving policy frameworks, and overseeing the financial situation of the organizations.
- To provide recommendations and an action plan to improve the governance structures.
Scope of Work
- Conduct a thorough diagnosis of the governance of the MA through a SWOT analysis or using similar tools, appreciative inquiry analysis (learning from what works well and exploring how to scale MA own good practice at the different levels)
- Analysis of the different roles and responsibilities (including communication flow) – between governance and management roles; this could include:
- The official and formal roles and relationships within the MA but also
- All informal roles and practices that play a key role in the governance dynamics :
- Review of the MA constitution/regulations/statutes/byelaws/meeting minutes etc.
- Analysis of Board selection/recruitment/appointment/election/evaluation process and challenges related to appointment the relevant profiles of “talents” – making the MA responsive to the needs of its beneficiaries.
- Analysis of good governance practice relevant for similar governance dynamics in comparison with global and national good practises.
- Consultation with key stakeholders within the MA, IPPF, partners and donors.
- Propose a governance structure that fits the purpose and mandate of the MA.
Expected results (deliverables):
- A detailed report with findings and recommendations that captures the main features of the governance review, contains analysis of specific findings, presents comparative studies from other similar structures etc.
- A clear proposal for improved and agile MA governance structure including the proposed changes required in the constitution/regulations.
- An action plan for implementation of the governance reforms in consultation with the MA.
Project Timeline: This project is expected to be carried out in eight weeks since the start of the contract.
Required qualifications and expertise:
The consultant or agency should have the following qualifications:
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in social/political sciences, economics, business administration, engineering, and relevant proven experience working directly with Boards or consulting for governance reform, combined with at least 7 years of experience.
- Desired Master’s degree in public policy, public administration, governance, development studies, international development or any other related field of study
- Expertise and experience in the area of governance or organisational development
- Familiarity with not for profit sector and preferably in the field of sexual and reproductive health
- Knowledge in statutory regulations and compliances for civil society organisations in the MA country will be added advantage
- Bilingual (English and French) and the reports will be produce in both languages.
Contents of the proposal
The proposal should include the following components:
- Cover letter with introduction of agency/individual (Maximum 2 pages)
- Proposed approach, methodology and a project plan with timelines
- Describe your experience in undertaking similar assignment especially in field of governance and organization development
- Two references or appreciation letters from agencies to whom the consultant/agency has provided services described in this ToR
- CV/CVs of the proposed team member /individual involved in the assignment/review
- Budget Break Up: The financial proposal should show detailed breakdown of costs professional fee and other expenses. The cost estimates should be in local currency and US$.
Date and place of submission of application Files
Applications written in French and English must be submitted in a single and closed envelope against discharge, to the Secretariat of the Executive Directorate of CAMNAFAW, located at Rue CEPER, CODEV entrance in Yaoundé, no later than five (5) working days at from the day of publication of the call, at 3:00 p.m. and must bear the following mention on the envelope:
"CANDIDACY FOR THE SELECTION OF THE CONSULTANT FOR THE STRENGTHENING OF THE GOVERNANCE OF CAMNAFAW"
DEADLINE: 7 SEPTEMBRE 2020
 SWOT Analysis is an analysis of Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threat