JOB ADVERT: JANITORS
Supervisor: General Services Assistant
Position Summary: Peace Corps Cameroon position opening for Janitors. The Janitor will work under the supervision of the General Services Assistant (GSA) to ensure regular routine cleaning of the office including the medical unit, Volunteer lounge and other Peace Corps property during Pre-service training (PST). S/he may be requested to act as back-up for other administrative roles.
Salary: Grade: 4, Range 4,940,421 – 8,398,715 CFA basic salary plus additional allowances.
Location: Yaounde, Cameroon
Application closes: December 27, 2019
Supervisory role: No
The Janitor shall perform the following functions:
- Sweep, mop, and/or vacuum rugs and floors in all rooms on a daily basis.
- Dust shelves, windowsills, tables and other surfaces daily. Only clean the desks of some professional staff with prior permission such as medical and IT personnel. Clean windows and glass surfaces weekly. Water plants common areas as needed. Use the lawnmower to clear the facility lawn.
- Disinfect bathrooms (floors, toilet, sinks, and mirror) once daily and as needed to keep them sanitary and odor-free. Stock bathrooms with toilet paper and soap as needed. Place air fresheners, liquid soap, hand sanitizers in all toilets.
- Wash cups and dishes for common use. Always, check and refill water dispensers with water and disposable cups twice daily.
- Do laundry for the sick bay weekly or as needed by the Peace Corps Medical Officer (PCMO).
- Empty trash receptacles on a daily basis. Remove all trash and clutter from hallways and common areas as needed. Properly dispose of papers and waste as required, shredding official documents.
- Clean office refrigerators weekly and the medical unit refrigerator as requested by PCMO.
- Periodically performs large cleaning projects during official events at Peace Corps (PC) Office or Residences.
- With guidance from the GSA, track cleaning inventory and notifies the GSA when supplies are needed in a timely manner to ensure that stocks do not run out.
- Immediately request repairs and report to the GSA broken equipment, loose doorknobs, clogged toilets, replacement bulbs and other issues.
- Managing the office warehouse including safely moving furniture, furnishings, equipment and supplies as needed.
- Assist the admin staff at the PC main office and other PC facilities.
- Other assignments as required.
Safety & Security
SSI 110 Standard Security Requirements: Immediately communicates Volunteer safety and security concerns and issues to the Safety and Security Manager (SSM) and CD. Knowledgeable and supportive of Peace Corps safety and security policies and procedures, including the timely reporting of suspicious incidents, persons or articles.
Education: Completion of Secondary School i.e. Ordinary Level.
Prior Work Experience:
- Four years experience in janitorial services.
- Ability to lift at least 10 kg and walk conveniently
- Some knowledge of basic Microsoft applications such as Word and Excel
- Prior experience working in or for an international organizational is a plus.
Language Proficiency: Written and oral fluency in English or French and minimum working knowledge of either language.
Knowledge, Skills, and Attitudes:
- Organizational skills, attention to detail and presentation.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to work in a team, independently and proactively.
- Ability to work a regular Monday through Friday schedule with impromptu, after-hours, weekend assignments when necessary.
- Current driver’s license (at least category B)
- Carpentry, electrical, plumbing and painting
Submit the following in MS Word or PDF:
- A cover letter
- Current resume
- Three professional references.
Peace Corps Cameroon does not accept documents saved on any cloud format including Google. The file size should not exceed 8MB.
Applications are to be submitted to CM-HR@peacecorps.gov and include JANITOR in the subject line.
No telephone calls or personal visits please. Only the documents listed in the application instructions should be submitted including your telephone number by December 27, 2019. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.