INTERNSHIP ADVERT: INTERN - ICT Support
Location : YAOUNDE, CAMEROON
Application Deadline : 26-Jul-19 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Internship
Post Level : Intern
Languages Required : English, French
Starting Date :(date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 01-Aug-2019
Duration of Initial Contract : 6 Months
Expected Duration of Assignment : 6 Months
UN Women Background:
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Unit/ Project Background:
In Cameroon, UN Women is implementing its third program for the period 2018-2020 to contribute to the Government's efforts to make Cameroon "an emerging country based on the principle of good governance where men and women enjoy the same rights and participate equitably to its development " covering four themes:
- Women will participate, lead and engage in political institutions and processes
- Rural women secure access to productive resources and sustainable agriculture
- Prevention violence against women and girls and deliver essential services to survivors
- Women play a greater role in and are better served by humanitarian response and recovery efforts
To effectively and efficiently implement the 2018-2020 Strategic Plan for UN Women Cameroon seeks to recruit an ICT Intern.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Finance Associate, the ICT Intern will work in close collaboration with the Programme and Operations teams for resolving complex ICT-related issues.
- Monitor the network connection on a daily basis to ensure stable and responsive network environment
- Develop user requirements and specifications for software and equipment
- Review Troubleshoot, maintain, upgrade, and provide solutions to hardware/software problems
- Perform other ICT related support tasks, as required.
- Increased knowledge on providing hardware and software maintenance services;
- Increased knowledge on providing quality support and advice to staff members;
- Learn more about timely web maintenance.
- Increased understanding of workings of UN Women.;
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Good knowledge of PC/LAN operating systems, Microsoft Windows, corporate ICT security and virus protection systems;
- Good PC hardware troubleshooting skills;
- Good knowledge of video conferencing and telecommunication;
- Good knowledge of database packages;
- Ability to perform a variety of standard specialized and non-specialized tasks and work processes;
- Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust discrepancies.
Required Skills and Experience
- The intern must have studies in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information and Communication Technology, Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering or ICT related field or other similar subject at the university level.
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent); Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in French are required; Working knowledge of another UN language a distinct advantage
Interns are not financially remunerated by UN Women.
Application Information: UN Women will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.
- In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment
UN Women Internship Policy:
- Applicants to the United Nations internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) or (b) above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- UN Women internship programme does not provide a salary or remuneration for the internship;
- All the expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring Government or institution;
- UN Women accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
- The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to positions in the professional and above category in UN WOMEN during the period of the internship or for six months immediately following the expiration date of internship;
- The intern must provide proof of enrollment in a health insurance plan, proof of school enrollment, a scanned copy of his/her passport, two letters of recommendation, and application
HOW TO APPLY?
All interested candidates are invited to apply online through the following link: https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=86340