The Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation was established by Dr. Foretia and his wife to catalyze Africa’s economic transformation by focusing on social entrepreneurship, science and technology, innovation, public health and progressive policies that create economic opportunities for all. The Foundation, which has its headquarters in Yaounde – Cameroon, works in partnership with local governments, policy makers, private enterprises, civil society organizations as well as development partners to expand the resources available to entrepreneurs, farmers, and small business owners in addition to improving individual livelihoods. It focusses on three major programmatic areas:
- The Nkafu Policy Institute – an independent think tank and applied research institute
- The Small Business & Entrepreneurship Center (SBEC) and
- The Sustainable Development Program
The Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation Cameroon is seeking an energetic leader for the position of Executive Director (ED). The position holder will be responsible for managing the overall business operations of the foundation to support its mission. He/she will also be expected to contribute scholarly research and publications. With a dedicated team and an engaged Board, the successful candidate will help forge new partnerships to build on the Foundation’s existing programs, increasing the organization’s impact, financial resources and visibility. He/she will establish, cultivate, and maintain strong working relationships with staff, key stakeholders, a network of philanthropic partners, foundations and other partnering organizations, including businesses and other nonprofits. In close collaboration with the Board of Trustees and staff, this new executive will lead The Foundation to its next level, exploring opportunities to leverage and enhance the organization’s current model, programs, and resources.
This leader will be instrumental in developing the strategy to increase the organization’s fundraising potential and activities. This will include the opportunity to build and develop comprehensive fundraising strategies with new and innovative approaches, while strengthening current development initiatives through thoughtful cultivation of national level partnerships, managing all major donor (individuals, corporations and foundations) relationships, and working closely with the Board of Trustees. With a strong public relations mindset, the ED will be a strong voice for The Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation as the external face of the organization, motivating and inspiring others to support the mission.
In partnership with the Board of Trustees, the ED will assure that the organization has short- and long-range strategies to achieve its mission and goals with consistent, realistic, and timely progress. This professional will cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board of Trustees and ensure open communication about the measurements of financial, programmatic, and impact performance against the Foundation’s milestones and goals. The ED will be committed to supporting existing core programs, maintaining a cohesive, positive organizational culture within the Foundation that emphasizes collaboration, collegiality, and accountability while supporting an open climate that attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people.
This is a full-time position located in Yaounde, Cameroon. For more information on The Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation, please visit http://www.foretiafoundation.org
Core Roles and Responsibilities:
The ED reports to the Board of Trustees and Country Representative, and is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives.
Provide strategic direction and drive fulfillment of organization’s mission
- Assure that the strategic goals and objectives of the organizations are carried out
- Develop with the Board, on a yearly basis, a work plan for the board to monitor execution of the Foundation’s strategic plan
- Communicate the organization’s performance and progress against goals using quantitative and qualitative metrics developed jointly with the Board of Trustees and staff
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with local, national and international regulations
Lead the organization’s philanthropy and marketing efforts
- Provide leadership in fundraising plans with the Board of the Trustees and staff
- Develop communication strategies with the Communications Team to promote and enhance The Foundation
- Publicize the activities of the organization, its programs and goals
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with national groups and organizations
- Serve as the organization’s primary public representative
Manage staff and operations
- Be responsible for the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both paid staff and volunteers
- Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resources policies and practices are in place
- Encourage and support staff and volunteer development and education
- Maintain an environment that attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse team of top quality people
Establish a budget and manage organizational finances
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices
- Work with the staff and the board in preparing a budget; see that the organization operates within budget guidelines
- Jointly, with the Co-Chairs of the Board of Trustees, conduct official correspondence of the organization, and jointly, with designated officers, execute legal documents
Fundraising and Resource Mobilization
- Coordinate the grant writing and submission process, provide oversight to major grants projects and lead cross-functional teams in developing grant project designs and proposals.
- Oversee the grant writing process, revise and edit grant proposals.
- Identify and nurture new sources of funding from key national, regional and international donors.
- Develop new programs/projects aligning with new and ongoing funders’ priorities and targets
- Network to broker new partnerships and build new relationships with grant donors and potential partners. Responsible for building relationships and facilitating strategic positioning with donors and partners.
- Ensure compliance with donors reporting and compliance guidelines.
- Provide regular updates to the Board of Trustees on grant pipeline progress and monitoring, making sure that early identification and escalation of issues in grant performance to ensure risks are managed.
- Ensure that a fundraising culture is in place for effective reporting on grant project expenditure to donors and partners.
Partner with the Board of Trustees
- Align and gain approval for annual and long-term objectives
- Meet regularly with the Board and discuss progress, address obstacles, and report on performance
- Actively participate with the Board on strategic planning initiatives
Desired Skills and Competencies:
- Trusts other people to perform. Broadly shares responsibility and accountability. Allow subordinates to perform both important and routine tasks and assignments and trusts others to achieve the desired results.
- Sees the BIG PICTURE to identify key areas or underlying issues and to develop effective strategies. Using broad understanding and viewpoints, can forecast future trends correctly. Possesses the ability to credibly depict future scenarios, plans and opportunities.
- Builds strong work relationships and adjusts to how individuals, organizations, and cultures function and react. Should be able to sense how others are feeling and foster rapport with a variety of people.
- Can creatively build the revenue base by generating investments for the organizations. Creates revenue by building relationships with those willing to invest in the organization.
- Candidate MUST be fully bilingual – fluent in English and French
- At least a Master’s degree in management, business administration, international development or equivalent
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including public speaking with both large and small audiences
- At least 5 years’ senior nonprofit management experience
- Understanding of and experience with capacity building programs and working with small businesses
- Proven track record of meeting or exceeding annual fundraising goals
- Ability to lead both experienced and junior staff
- Financial management background
- Experience working with Board of Trustees
- Passion for the Mission of The Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation
Compensation & Benefits: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Terms of Office: The appointment is for a 2 year- fixed term, renewable twice at most, subject to satisfactory performance.
Applications are preferred by 13 October 2017 but will be accepted until the position is filled. Shortlisting of applicants will be done weekly and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. All interested, qualified candidates should submit a CV/Resume and cover letter through our online application system via the link http://www.foretiafoundation.org/careers/job-application-executive-director-ed/
Applications will ONLY be accepted through the online application portal; we will not accept CV/Resumes by Email.
Should you have any questions about the application process, please email us at email@example.com