VACANCY: Regional Coordinator – West and Central Africa
About our organization:
The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) is a non-profit global research organization that generates science-based knowledge about the diverse and important roles that trees play in the development of agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods. The Centre’s vision is rural transformation in the developing world, as family farmers use tree-based solutions based in agroforestry to improve food security, nutrition, income, soil, human and ecosystem health, and to help them adapt to and mitigate climate change. With their multidisciplinary research and the knowledge they generate, ICRAF and its partners advance policies and practices that benefit the poor and the environment.
The Centre’s headquarters are in Nairobi, Kenya, and it conducts research in more than 30 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. ICRAF is a member of the Consortium of 15 independent agricultural research centres of CGIAR.
To learn more, please visit our website: www.worldagroforestry.org
The Regional Coordinator will contextualize and deliver ICRAF's strategy and, by extension, the CGIAR's Strategic Results Framework, in the assigned geographic and socio-political region, in partnership with appropriate and relevant regional and national partners from across all sectors of society, for the benefit of the region and beyond. S/he will also provide overall leadership within the region to represent ICRAF's interests in the region and ensure quality execution of ICRAF research activities in the region.
Duties and Responsibilities
Strategic Regional Leadership
- To promote the right conditions for countries in the region to implement agroforestry R&D, development of CGIAR Research Programs (CRPs) and to provide support for ICRAF's work, through foresight studies.
- To lead the development and implementation of a regional strategy that responds to local needs and opportunities while furthering ICRAF's global mission.
- To monitor implementation and review/ improve the regional strategy as necessary
- To facilitate institutional integration and coherence through regular communication and liaison with leadership of all of ICRAF’s relevant programmatic, thematic and regional/country teams.
Resourcing and managing a multi-site, multi-disciplinary team for development impact through research
- To contribute to resource mobilization through opportunity spotting and capture, catalyzing the writing of proposals, establishing and managing donor relations and the regional institutional profile.
- To provide leadership in the recruitment of staff for the region in appropriate consultation with leadership of all of ICRAF’s relevant programmatic, thematic and regional/country teams;
- To prepare annual plan of work and budget in collaboration with FSU, CRP focal points, Theme leaders and regional staff.
- To provide overall supervision of regional activities to achieve operational efficiency and effectiveness in the region; including direct supervision of Country Representatives and other staff (as appropriate), including performance management and evaluation.
- To develop and nurture a productive, efficiency and equitable working environment for all staff.
- To supervise regionally-based teams who are part of ICRAF’s matrix with headquarters based units.
- To stimulate and contribute to the production of research outputs, including scientific publications and development innovations
Communication, Partnership-Building and Institutional Visibility
- Develop and manage partnerships that contribute to furthering of the regional strategy, e.g. with national institutions, private sector, farmers' organizations, CGIAR Centers, hosting organizations and others, as appropriate
- To oversee implementation of the communication component of the regional strategy, including but not limited to the leading of synthesis of regional outputs, and direction of the communication of research products
- To represent ICRAF at appropriate regional and national events and forums and internationally as may be necessary
- To support the assessment of impact of ICRAF's work in the region
- To undertake any other duties as may be assigned by ICRAF’s Senior Leadership Team or Deputy Director General-Research
- Identify potential risk areas.
Required Academic and Professional Qualifications:
- PhD in a field related to agriculture, forestry, agroforestry or natural resources management including related social sciences
- Experience in conducting research in agroforestry or a closely related field, demonstrated by quality publications in high impact journals
- Research and management experience in developing countries
- 10 years with minimum of 7 years postdoctoral experience
- 5-10 years of experience leading teams
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Skills in research design and quantitative and qualitative data analysis
- Proven track record in managing collaborative agroforestry relationships with a range of partners, including the private sector
- Demonstrated fund raising and proposal writing experience
- Familiarity with international agricultural and environmental research and development
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and relational skills, especially in a cross-cultural environment and ability to analyze and solve problems, persuade, network and negotiate
- Ability to lead and flourish in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams
Terms of offer:
We offer a collegial, diverse and gender-sensitive working environment, and we encourage applications from qualified women. This position is remunerated on International Terms. The appointment will be for an initial period of three (3) years, subject to a nine (9) months’ probation period.
This position will be based in ICRAF’s West and Central Africa Regional Office in Yaounde, Cameroon.
How to apply:
Go to http://worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf/vacancies, complete the application form and attach your cover letter and CV/Resume (as one document – labelled with your First Name and Last Name).
Applications will be considered until 14 May 2017. Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.