CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Doctors Without Borders, for its activities in MAMFE
SURGEON (ref: MFSU200930)
Doctors Without Borders (MSF) is an international non-governmental medical association providing assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions. We observe neutrality and impartiality in the name of universal medical ethics and the right to humanitarian assistance and claim full and unhindered freedom in the exercise of our functions.
Related with our activities we are looking for a SURGEON.
Working locations: Mamfe District Hospital and ocasionally other Health Facilities in Mamfe sorroudings.
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Salary: According to the organisation´s Salary Grid – Level 9
Provide outpatient and/or inpatient medical care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, Doctors without borders (MSF) protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiaries health conditions.
- Coordinates the implementation of DWB clinical policies, tools, guidelines and protocols ( antibiotic prophylaxis, post-operative pain management, thrombo-prophylaxis, caesarean section, blood transfusion, etc) and recommendations (standard hygiene and sterilization rules, prevention to HIV, TB, Syphilis and Hep B exposure) in order to minimize clinical risks.
- Undertake pre-operative consultations, evaluating the surgical risks with the anaesthetist and/or other medical staff involved, and obtaining the patient’s signed consent to operate.
- Carry out emergency and programmed surgical intervention following DWB protocols and policies including swab counts, ensuring appropriate use of surgical equipment and proper OT registry entry/documentation of all OT intervention.
- Carry out post-operative clinical care and ward rounds collaborating with the anaesthetist, the Operating Theatre Nurse and ward staff or other Unit Managers to ensure compliance with DWB protocols and rational use of medicines. Attend OPD, emergency room when required.
- In collaboration with the anaesthetist, carry-out the collection and analysis of quantitative surgical- anaesthesia data, using post-operative observation sheets, routine data collected, patient files, operating department register, patient file, etc. to monitor quality. Monthly revue data and analyse clinical trends and comment on adverse events / poor clinical outcome. Support organizing the operating program and with OT staff monitor use of material and equipment and advise on instrument needs and coordinates patient referral.
- Actively participate in the emergency disaster response plan of the hospital along with the anaesthetist and the medical doctor and /or the responsible nurse and run role hospital practical rehearsals, in order to ensure the continuity of the services under any circumstance
- Knows and helps implement the accidental blood exposure policy in the OT.
- Actively collaborate in the training of the staff (emergency and the out - patient teams) in order to ensure the amount of knowledge required and to improve people diagnosing, triage, and early detection capabilities.
- Support other medical teams/wards when needed.
- Actively collaborates in the training of the OT staff, indicating to the nurses the needed instrument and items during surgery in order to facilitate their capacities develop. Encourage and accept the presence of OT nurses (other than the supervisor) during surgery in order to assess needs of training and facilitate the on-job training. Discuss with the OT Supervisor/In-charge the evolution of the staff and the needs of trainings.
- Actively collaborates with the NAM in order to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the OT activities, according to the protocols outlined for theatre procedures. Working together with all surgical team to achieve quality of care for patients and assisting in theatre and sterilization, if necessary. Ensuring infection control measures is in place and respected by all team members.
- Planning and organizing in collaboration with the MAM a training schedule for the medical doctors on basic surgeries and coaching them to be able to carry out basic surgical procedures.
- Negotiation, capacity to influence and making the relationship with the Hospital OT staff smooth and fruit-ful (in other words “soft skills”) is the key in making this assignment a success.
Minimum of technical skills required:
1. Trauma & General surgery experience capacities to perform
- Management acute abdomen, intestinal obstruction, peritonitis, Insertion of chest tubes
2. Orthopeadic skills to perform:
- Wound debridement, Traction pin placement, Amputation upper and lower extremity, External fixator placement, manipulation and remove
3. Emergency Surgery related to Maternal/Obstetric Complications
- Emergency Caesarean sections, Emergency Hysterectomies, Emergency Laparotomy from Ectopic pregnancy
All applications (CV, cover letter, diplomas, working certificates, telephone number, etc.) must be sent by email to the following address:
firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning on the subject: SURGEON or else be submitted at Doctors Without Borders office at Mile 1 Mamfe or at MSF Kumba Office in a sealed envelop Ref: RECRUITMENT SURGEON addressed to Doctors Without Borders - HR Department.
Deadline for the reception of applications: 24th October 2020
NB: No applications will be accepted after the deadline Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Application documents are non-returnable; please do not submit original documents. Writing tests and interviews will be done in our offices after the selection of the applications.