JOB ADVERT: National Public Management Officer
Title: National Public Management Officer - UNOCHA BUEA
Job ID: 27669
Practice Area - Job Family: Management - INFORMATION MANAGEMENT
Vacancy End Date: 26/12/2019 (Midnight New York, USA)
Duty Station: Buea, Cameroon
Education & Work Experience: F-2-Year College Degree - 4 year(s) experience, I-Master's Level Degree - 2 year(s) experience
Languages Required: English, French
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UN OCHA) has established field offices in Buea and Bamenda to facilitate the coordination of humanitarian activities in the North-West and South-West regions of Cameroon.
Information management is a core component of a comprehensive support strategy for the humanitarian community. In order to meet the increased requirements for coordination support, humanitarian advocacy and information, the National Information Management Officer will support the Information Management Unit (IMU) to analyze relevant data (tabular, statistical, spatial etc.) to support an efficient and effective humanitarian response.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Support in the development of spatial/geographical information products;
- Support the development and maintenance of comprehensive operational information products;
- Maintain a client-oriented approach that ensures that OCHA provides high-quality information management services and products to the OCHA office and to members of the humanitarian community:
- Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing within OCHA and guidance to external stakeholders on information management focusing on achievement of the following:
Under the overall guidance of the Head of OCHA Office, the direct supervision of the Head of OCHA Sub office in Buea, and the technical supervision of the Head Information Management Unit, the national IMO will be responsible for the following duties:
Support in the development of spatial/geographical information products (i.e. maps, metadata, data dictionary, etc):
- Collect, organize and file geographic data, map/Geographic Information Systems (GIS) production and geographic data management support. This requires a strong practical knowledge of relational database software like MS Access as well as MS Excel and experience with the pivot table function. Experience with GIS Tools like Arc-GIS, Mapinfo, QGIS, etc…
- Develop and maintain spatial baseline and operational datasets in accordance with relevant standards and guidance, including IASC Common Operational Datasets (CODs).
Support the development and maintenance of comprehensive operational information products, Who/What/Where, monitoring matrices, operational analyses, contact lists among others:
- Build strong relationships and maintain regular contacts with the local and international community; gather information on humanitarian activities in support of the Who/ What/Where database, including frequent liaison with key stakeholders.
- Support the development of standardized reporting formats and analysis to support operational decision making for internal and external use.
- Collect information and assist in analysis of monitoring reports based on humanitarian indicators to provide a coherent picture of humanitarian operations.
- On an ad-hoc basis, collect, analyze and disseminate information in cooperation with other Units within OCHA.
Maintain a client-oriented approach that ensures that OCHA provides high-quality information management services and products to the OCHA office and to members of the humanitarian community:
- Provide liaison support with relevant partners and stakeholders to promote information sharing and coordination.
- Provide support to the OCHA field offices, organize flow of information and assist the offices in planning information management activities.
- Provide graphics/design support for various presentations, as well as the development of high-quality visual products (infographics, maps, tables, graphs).
- Conduct regular trainings for sector members and work closely with the IM counterparts in partner agencies and organizations throughout the IMWG.
Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing within OCHA and guidance to external stakeholders on information management focusing on achievement of the following:
- Promote the adoption of OCHA Information Management tools and technics by OCHA staff and partners;
- Contribute to the development and delivery of training curricula for field partners
- Assisting with other tasks as directed by the OCHA Head of Sub-Office or the head of the Information Management Unit.
- Professionalism: Exposure to a wide range of information management systems related to humanitarian activities, conceptual and strategic analytical capacity, demonstrated problem-solving skills. Good knowledge of the regions and ability to influence others to reach agreement.
- Client Orientation: Ability to identify and analyze clients’ needs and refer that to the IM supervisor for improvement of the IM tools.
- Commitment to Continuous Learning: Willingness to keep abreast of developments in IM methodology and maintain expertise in new and innovative tools.
- Communications: Good communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information, effectively advice clients on systems related issues, applications, etc.
- Judgment: Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given.
- Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Planning & Organizing: Ability to plan own work and manage conflicting priorities.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate OCHA corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Awareness of UN institutional mandates, policies, rules and procedures, particularly in relation to humanitarian response and coordination
- Spirit of initiative, tact, negotiation skills, analysis and communication;
- Ability to work in a multi-ethnic, multi-racial and multicultural environment;
- Ability to work productively under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate ideas and concepts clearly and concisely in both written and oral forms.
- Master’s degree in computer science, Information Systems, Geographic Information Systems, Graphic Design or related field is required.
- A first level University degree with a minimum of 4 years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Experience / Skills:
- Minimum two (2) years of work experience in information systems, geographic information systems or graphic design.
- Relevant experience in working with an UN agency or other humanitarian agency is desirable.
- Experience in the area of emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management, humanitarian/development environment, field coordination is an asset.
- A strong practical knowledge of relational database software like MS Access as well as MS Excel and experience with the pivot table function
- Experience with GIS Tools like Arc-GIS, Mapinfo, QGIS, etc…
- Working experience in graphics/design support for various presentations, and development of high-quality visual products (infographics, maps, tables, graphs).
- Experience in collecting, analyzing, evaluating and synthesizing information.
- Experience working in South-West and North-West regions is an asset.
- Fluency in both oral and written English; knowledge of French
- Knowledge of local languages is an asset: Bakweri; Pidjin; Bakossi ; Balondo ; Bafo ; Oroko ; Bayangui; etc.
- THIS VACANCY IS ONLY RESERVED FOR CAMEROONIAN CANDIDATE
- FEMALE CANDIDATE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED
HOW TO APPLY?
All interested candidates are invited to apply online through the following link: https://jobs.partneragencies.net/erecruitjobs.html?JobOpeningId=27656&hrs_jo_pst_seq=1&hrs_site_id=2