JOB ADVERT: Programme Coordinator Governance Women Peace & Security
Agency: UN Women
Title: Programme Coordinator Governance Women Peace & Security (UNWOMEN CMR)
Job ID: 27656
Practice Area - Job Family: Management - GOVERNANCE WPS
Vacancy End Date: 22/12/2019 (Midnight New York, USA)
Duty Station: Yaounde, Cameroon
Education & Work Experience: I-Master's Level Degree - 5 year(s) experience
Languages Required: English, French
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: 12 months
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
For several decades, Cameroon was considered as a model of peace in Central Africa. However, in the last five years the Country experienced large-scale humanitarian crises that required international response. The context is particularly marked by the impact of three crises namely: Boko Haram in the Far-North; the Central African Republic crisis in the East with the influx of refugees from CAR, and the protracted crisis in the North-West and South-West regions. The conflict that erupted in the anglophone regions of Cameroon in 2016 has led to unprecedented levels of violence, increased security risks, and a serious humanitarian situation with women and girls paying a high tribute. On September 10th, the President Paul Biya announced the Major National Dialogue that unfolds from Sep 30 to October 4th. The Dialogues resulted in positive and encouraging outcomes to bring back peace. Women participated to the 8 commissions established for the dialogue and one commission ‘Education and Social Affairs” was chaired by a woman. UN Women Cameroon work plan for 2020 will focus on providing support to ensure Women participation to reconciliation and peace building process.
To support Governments peacebuilding efforts, a joint UN Project funded by Peacebuilding Fund intitled “Strengthening Resilience of Women and Girls affected by crisis, violent extremism and climate change in the Lake Chad Region” will be implemented by UN Women, UNESCO and UNICEF under the leadership of the Government of Cameroon. For its implementation, UN Women seeks to recruit a Programme Coordinator Governance, Women Peace and Security (WPS).
Reporting to the Deputy Representative, the Programme Coordinator Governance WPS, is responsible for coordinating the Governance, Women Peace & Security portfolio which includes coordinating relationships with national partners and stakeholders, the monitoring and reporting, and the finance and personnel of the portfolio. The main functions are as follows.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- Strategic direction and technical management of the PBF project
- Coordinate the Governance and WPS Program/Portfolios
- Ensure quality coordination with national partners and other stakeholders
- Manage people and finances of the Governance WPS program
- Networking, partnership building and resource mobilization
- Advocate and facilitate knowledge building and management and communication
Strategic direction and technical management of the PBF project
- Provide technical and strategic assistance to project activities, including planning, implementing and monitoring, and ensure quality control of interventions;
- Provide practical support to the Project Coordinator, to the project teams and to the national party in the areas of project management and planning, field activity implementation and management, as well as monitoring and evaluation of the project impacts;
- Develop terms of reference of consultants and subcontractors, and assist in the selection and recruitment process and provide technical supervision of the work carried out by the experts and consultants hired by the project;
- Advising on political and legal issues concerning the project;
- Ensure the preparation and revision of the project annual plan of Action;
- Inform the Project Coordinator of the progress of the project, according to the mechanisms and frequency established in the project document;
- Identify any need for organizational change and report these needs to the Steering Committee through the UN Women Representative;
- Represent the project at national, sub national and local levels;
- Ensure the timely submission of quality progress reports and donor reports as well as the other reporting documents (multi-year, annual, quarterly, operational, logbook, report).
Coordinate the Governance and WPS Program/Portfolios
- Coordinate the overall Program/Portfolio work plan development and implementation according to Strategic Note/ programme document;
- Gather inputs and coordinate the preparation of work-plans, periodic narrative progress reports and expenditures status reports to UN Women management;
- Establish systems for project planning, implementation and monitoring, in collaboration with partners;
- Record and maintain documents on relevant Programme activities, issues, and risks.
Ensure quality coordination with national partners and other stakeholders
- Coordinate relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the Governance WPS Programme/Portfolio, raise potential problems and suggest solutions;
- Identify capacity building needs and support partners through technical assistance, mentoring, training and capacity development initiatives, as needed.
- Gather and compile all information necessary for monitoring and reporting on program and projects from the planning to the evaluation stages;
- Monitor the implementation of activities and the expenditure of funds; conduct regular monitoring visits, as required;
- Draft and provide inputs to annual and quarterly reports; coordinate the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
- Provide inputs from Governance WPS program activities and results to Country Office, reporting.
Manage people and finances of the Governance WPS program
- Coordinate development and preparation of financial resources of the program including budgeting and budget revisions, and expenditure tracking and reporting;
- Monitor the allocation and disbursement of funds to participating partners;
- Supervise Staff under Governance WPS Programme.
Networking, partnership building and resource mobilization
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with government counterparts, UN Agencies and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to facilitate program implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to achieve and sustain results.
- Draft communication and information materials for CO program advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnerships/alliances, ensure visibility and support resource mobilization to ensure the peace building projects are adequately resourced and supported.
- Participate in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) meetings/events on programming to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNSDCF operational planning and preparation of Women Peace and Security projects.
- Research information on potential donors and prepare resource mobilization materials and briefs for fund raising and partnership development purposes.
Advocate and facilitate knowledge building and management and communication
- Identify, capture, synthesize and share lessons learned for knowledge development and to build the capacity of stakeholders.
- Apply innovative approaches and promote good practice to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable program results.
- Research, benchmark and report on best and cutting-edge practices for development planning of knowledge products and systems.
- Participate as resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Good program formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Good budget and finance skills
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management
- Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings and recommendations
- Good analytical skills
- Knowledge of UN program management systems
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in public administration, law, human rights, gender equality, management, social sciences or any other field related to Governance and Peacebuilding.
- A project/program management certification would be an added advantage.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience at the national or international level in managing complex and multi-component program interventions with national partners, preferably related to thematic area;
- Experience in coordinating, implementing, monitoring and evaluating development programs and projects is an asset including PBF.
- Knowledge of institutional reform, conflict management/prevention and transformation or security and peacebuilding;
- Knowledge of the context and socio-political environment of Cameroon in terms of conflicts;
- Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset;
- knowledge of a working tool in program management (RMS..etc)
- Fluency in English and French is required;
- Working knowledge of another official UN language is an asset;
- This vacancy is only reserved for cameroonian candidates
- Female candidate are strongly encouraged
HOW TO APPLY?
All interested candidates are invited to apply online through the following link: https://jobs.partneragencies.net/erecruitjobs.html?JobOpeningId=27656&hrs_jo_pst_seq=1&hrs_site_id=2