JOB ADVERT: National Economist
Title: National Economist (Open only for Cameroonian candidates)
Job ID: 24221
Practice Area - Job Family: Capacity Development - ECONOMY
Vacancy End Date: 11/07/2019 (Midnight New York, USA)
Duty Station: Yaounde, Cameroon
Education & Work Experience: I-Master's Level Degree - 5 year(s) experience
Languages Required: French, English
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: One Year
Cameroon is a country Like most African commodity-dependent countries, Cameroon have experienced the paradox of growth. Over the past decade, Cameroon’s economic growth has been dynamic but has not benefited the population equally. The economy grew by an average of 4,7% per year between 2010 and 2018. This good performance was initially achieved thanks to the increase in oil production, and to public investments program in major infrastructure projects designed to make Cameroon an upper-tier middle-income country under the implementation of the Cameroon "Vision 2035" since 2010. The first phase of the Vision 2035, from 2010 to 2019, was guided by Growth and Employment Strategy Paper (GESP) which focused on accelerating growth, creating formal employment, and reducing poverty. The growth was thus increased to 5,9 % of GDP in 2015. It has shown significant resilience in the face of falling oil prices and the security shock in the sub-region and at the national level, maintaining its growth around + 4% over the last three years. Although Cameroon did demonstrate reasonable rate of economic growth during this period, there remains challenges to be addressed which include consequences of Boko-Haram’s activities in the Far North and situation of North-West and South-West regions.
Under the Vision 2035, Cameroon aims to become an emerging and democratic country united in its diversity by 2035. Now, the government of Cameroon, with technical assistance from the UNDP, is in the phase of drafting a new national development strategy for the next phase of 2020 to 2027 during which Cameroon envisages to become an upper-middle-income country.
UNDP Cameroon’s Country Office is recruiting a National Economist to help contribute to its overall work programme in support to the government and other stakeholders. The National Economist will support the CO by providing economic analysis and policy advice to management and government counterparts that favor inclusive development. This will also include advice on the integration of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the SDGs into national and local plans and activities, and mapping of linkages between national plans and budgets, aiming to strengthen policy coherence and whole-of-society approaches. The National Economist will contribute to enhancing the value addition of UNDP’s programme in the country by identifying and promoting development solutions at scale. S/he is expected to contribute to knowledge generation through research and analysis, represent UNDP as required in policy discussions, and collaborate closely with all stakeholders on SDG integration, acceleration, and innovation.
UNDP's work in Cameroon is outlined in its 2018-2020 Country Programme Document, which contributes to the UNDAF 2018-2020.
The National Economist will be based full-time in the UNDP CO. Domestic and international travels can be required. S/he will work closely with the CO Senior Economist, programme and operations. S/he is also expected to develop and maintain a network of counterparts across development partner agencies, government institutions, the private sector, and civil society.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative and the Senior Economist, the national economist is supposed to:
- Support Implementation of UNDP projects: this includes delivering economic (including econometric) analyses, estimating statistics (e.g. human development metrics, poverty and inequality measures etc.), compiling and drafting analytical reports, and preparing technical and policy advice.
- Provide technical assistance and policy advice to the government of Cameroon- Ministry of Economy, Planning, and Regional Development (MINEPAT) and other sectoral ministries. Note that within these assignments, an emphasis is put on strategic policy advice and practical application of tools.
- Ad hoc inputs for UN/ UNDP management to articulate strategic and advisory services that will position UNDP as a transformational agent in the country. These involve predominantly analytical assignments, with a policy dimension, associated with cross cutting issues (with multi-agency inputs) and/ or UN processes (SDGs, UNDAF etc.)
- Support all UNDP Units teams to develop and manage relevant thematic portfolios, such as activities to support inclusive growth and progress towards the SDGs;
- Provide analysis and research in priority thematic areas at the country and local level, including through the publication of policy briefs or other analytical outputs;
- Compile and analyse statistical data as required in support of country strategies and activities.
- Collaborate across UNDP teams, especially to ensure linkages to the work emerging from the evolving socio political and economic situation of the country;
- Support the creation of development solutions at scale to help address complex development challenges.
- Build enhanced partnership across national and international development partners operating in the country to support UNDP’s institutional positioning and advocating UNDP philosophy among stakeholders and mobilizing resources;
- Profile UNDP’s convening powers at the national level (among national stakeholders) on pertinent development issues (including influencing national development plans and strategies, budgetary analysis and debates, roundtable organizations, mainstreaming the SDGs into national plans and strategies, deepening structural economic transformation, promoting inclusive growth and development, etc.);
- Conducting research and analytical works on development issues in Cameroon.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN's values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Capacity to engage with senior decision/ policy makers, and to synthesize and present complex arguments in easily understood terms.
- Ability to work collaboratively with team members by sharing information openly and displaying cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Superior written/ oral communication skills, with the ability to convey complex development concepts and recommendations.
- Ability to provide top quality policy advice services on economic issues;
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to lead formulation and evaluation of development programmes and projects;
- Ability to apply economic theory to the specific country context, carry out high-quality economic research.
- Positive and results-oriented attitude, able to meet targets/deadline.
Required Skills and Experience
Education: at least Master’s degree in economics with specialization in development, macroeconomics and/ or econometrics, political economy.
- 5 years of relevant development experience at the national or international level (economics with specialization in development, macroeconomics and/ or econometrics, political economy);
- Extensive knowledge of Cameroon’s social and economic development;
- Analytical skills and application of techniques (e.g. statistical analysis, econometric approaches, etc)
- Knowledge and experience of UN policies on data and statistics for sustainable development;
- Demonstrated excellent analytical, writing and editing, communication skills;
- Good command of statistical software STATA
- Prior working experience with agencies of the UN system or other multilateral organization would be an asset
Language Requirement: Fluency in French and working knowledge in English
Note: Female candidates are strongly encouraged.
HOW TO APPLY?
All interested candidates are invited to apply online through the following link: https://jobs.partneragencies.net/erecruitjobs.html?JobOpeningId=24221&hrs_jo_pst_seq=1&hrs_site_id=2