Good Neighbors International
Cameroon Job Description - 2019 Position: NTD Technical Assistant
Reports to: NTD Technical Manager or Assistant Project Manager
Good Neighbors International (GNI) is an international NGO established in March 1991 in Seoul, South Korea. GNI is currently operating in 35countries all over the world and specialized in community development including activities of education and child protection; health promotion and prevention; water and sanitation; income generation; advocacy; community partnership and network building.
Good Neighbors Cameroon has been working in Cameroon to promote health and education and to improve water and sanitation at the community level since 2014. Project Background: The government of Republic of Korea has established Global Disease Eradication Fund (GDEF) on the purpose of eradicating infectious diseases in low-income African countries.
Since September 2007, every international flight ticket departing from Republic of Korea has donated 1,000 won (KRW) to this fund. As the 3rd funding cycle, Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) will fund Good Neighbors to implement “Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs) control project” in Cameroon. Good Neighbors Cameroon will implement the project from April 2019 to December 2021 in the Centre Region, Cameroon. Specifically, it will target all school age children from 5-15years living in the Centre Region in order to reduce morbidity and mortality by controlling NTDs, particularly schistosomiasis (SCH) and soil-transmitted helminthiasis (STH). Activities will include mass drug administration (MDA) support, community-led water and sanitation education/campaign, well installation, and so on.
Scope of the position:
The NTD Technical Assistant will report to NTD Technical Manager or Assistant Project Manager. The NTD Technical Assistant’s main responsibilities will be to provide programmatic and operational support to the project for conduct of the planned activities, budget management, preparation of donor reports, dayto-day monitoring and evaluation of project progress, and cooperation with stakeholders. He/she will be required to travel to project sites in order to conduct monitoring and evaluation, trainings, meetings, and other project activities.
- Develop NTD project plans and procedures and monitor progress of the overall NTD project with the team to ensure that all activities are on the right track
- Manage project related inquries from colleagues and provide technical assistance for other departments with NTD project
- Assign tasks to the team and determine the task priority Supervise on-the-ground activities (e.g. training, construction, etc.) including supervision of engaged partners in those activities to ensure that activities are delivered within a time frame and budget
- Provide support to Managing Director on the preparation/finalization of monthly/quarterly/yearly donor reports, activity plans, project budgets, and other key project matters/documents
- Track and monitor project budgets for consistency with activity plans with Project Officer and the administration team
- Involve in training in-country project staffs and stakeholders on programmatic and operational management of NTD project
- Collaborate with the team to build and maintain good partnerships/relationships with donors, stakeholders including the Cameroon government (e.g. Ministry of Public Health, Ministry of basic/secondary Education, Ministry of Water and Energy, etc.) at all levels, health personnel, and beneficiaries
- Submit in-country internal reports to Managing Director
- Ensure that internal shared documents are fully up-to-date at all times
- Undertake any other project related duties assigned by Managing Director
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health with at least 3 years directly relevant work experience; or equivalent combination of academic and work experience Familiarity with NGOs or international development organizations is strongly preferred
- Familiarity/experience in NTD or infectious disease project implementation either in the Africa region or in other foreign regions is preferred
- Fluency in written and spoken in both English and French is highly required
- Computer literacy with MS word, excel, and power point is highly required
- Ability to communicate effectively across countries with partners and donors
- Willingness to work under pressure and high work load with a positive mind and attitude
- Ability to undertake domestic and international travel
- Ability to deliver assigned duties on time with accuracy Great level of sensitivity and respect for vulnerable groups
- Willingness to be on the field
- Excellent report writing skills
- Ability to have good relationships with internal and external partners/colleagues
- Integrity in any circumstances
- To be in excellent health condition
An Employee’s first three (3) months of employment are on a trial basis and are considered a continuation of the employment selection process. The three (3) months probationary period (“Probation Period”) provides Good Neighbors Cameroon an opportunity to observe and evaluate the capacity of the Employee, which includes the Employee’s ability to satisfactorily perform the essential functions of his or her job; and to observe and evaluate the employee’s work habits and conduct, including attendance and the Employee’s relationship with co-workers and superiors. During this probationary period, the Employee and the Employer are free to terminate the employment contract without the need to justify such termination and with no compensation being payable. However, a notice period must be observed.
Once his/her probation has been completed, the Employee will have an opportunity to extend his/her contract of employment. The contract extension will depend on the candidate’s satisfactory performance in his/her position and on his/her appropriate manner in the office. Every contract of employment is deemed to be renewable every year but the contract will maintain its validity only until the end of all official acts of the KOICA NTD control project.
Office location: Good Neighbors Cameroon office in Bastos, Yaoundé, Cameroon
To Apply: Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume (English only), certificate of an academic degrees, and certificate of employment to email@example.com noting the position title in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until 31st of March, 2019.