JOB ADVERT: Human Resources Specialist
Location: Maroua, EN, CM
Company: Plan International
Working in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas, Plan aims to reach as many children as possible, particularly those who are excluded or marginalised with high quality programs that deliver long lasting benefits by increasing its income, working in partnership with others and operating effectively.
Plan International Cameroon is a Child Centered Community Development Organization with no religious, political or governmental affiliation working in Cameroon since 1996. Plan International is a children’s organization with primary concerns on children’s rights, safety and well-being and has in its interest to create safe environments for children with more attention paid to child protection. All employees are therefore expected to comply with our Child Protection Policy. Plan International also promotes equal opportunity employment and pays special consideration to female candidates.
This position is to assist the Country HR Manager in the implementation of Human Resources systems, procedures and a wide variety of human resource functions for the organisation. This position handles the administrative responsibilities of Human Resources.
Plan International Cameroon is seeking to recruit interested candidates to fulfill the position of Human Resources Specialist that will provide support to the Human Resources function of the organization especially in the Emergency Response Program that is currently going on in the Far North Region of Cameroon.
N.B. Please to note that this is a local contract under Cameroon Labour Law.
Typical Responsibilities - Key End Results of Position:
“What” is done and “why”, but not “how”; include indicators for success
- Provides support in staff recruitment activities to ensure quality recruitment is done and delays prevented
- Ensure the Go team list is up-dated and ready to use at all moment
- Controls the operation of the Human Resources Information System to have an updated HR data for easy access and reference;
- Assists in the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of staff training and development programs to address gaps in performance and maintain an updated training data
- Supports in staff performance management for quality checks and timely delivery of staff assessment at all stages using HRIS; also ensuring that pdf. copies of Performance Objectives are filed electronically and easily accessible
- Manages the updating of all staff files to prevent loss of documents and easy access. Staff files updated and kept safe and accessible when needed
- Organizes people-centred events that would build good working relations among staff. Annual activities organized well, participated and meets objective(s)
- Supports in conducting employee morale surveys to advise management on appropriate change management interventions.
- Manages staff leave records so that staff take the mandatory rest and the organisation does not lose from excess leave days that staff may take
- Monitors HR annual budget to maintain spending requirements and gives feedback to supervisor for decision-making
- Conducts all other human resources administrative activities for the smooth flow of human resource duties. Smooth flow of administrative duties evident at all times.
- Ensures adherence to Human Resources policies and practices, consistent with global policy and compliant with local statutory and legislative requirements to avoid industrial conflicts and other malpractices.
- Ensures gender mainstreaming and maintains gender sensitivity towards staff and Plan associate. Gender sensitivity evident in delivery of roles.
- Fulfills Plan’s Child Protection Policy at all times to ensure children are kept safe at all times. No incidence of involvement in any form of child abuse both at work and at home.
- Maintains and updates a summary of the labour law for quick reference in supporting staff understanding and compliance.
- Administers the employee orientation/induction and blended learning programmes to support staff settle down easily and faster and make recommendations for necessary changes. New employees go through orientation and orientation reports placed on time.
- Support the implementation of the Deployement Emergency Response policy and ensure it is always up-dated;
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned from time to time to support the attainment of the organization’s goals.
Dealing with Problems:
Complexity of problems handled & the degree of investigation, analysis, & creative thinking required to solve them
This includes how much freedom the position has to make decisions; for example, “may approve invoices up to $1,000.”
- Provides sensitization for staff to ensure compliance with policies and procedures to ensure smooth implementation of the country’s human resource functions as per requirements of the Human Resources Strategy, FOB and other organizational policies and procedures
- Participates and supports in evaluation and investigation to have information on staff issues and in implementation of activities to address and promote staff retention and performance improvement
- Analyses issues and refers to Country HR Manager for approval
- Works with minimum supervision
Communications and Working Relationships:
Working contacts inside and outside the organization; include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the contact
- Maintains high contact with all staff from the program unit and country offices to offer support for understanding and implementation of HR related activities
- Low contact with Plan partner organizations to offer support for human resource activities
Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives: See Section 7e
- University degree in Human Resource Management, Social Sciences, Sociology and Psychology or equivalent in any related field.
- At least 5 years experience in HR management practices in a reputable organization
- Experience in the application and administration of the relevant income tax laws
- At least, 3 years of relevant professional experience in the operation of a human resource information system
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
Skills Specific to the post needed to put knowledge into practice.
- Strong team working skills
- High degree of discretion
- Planning, and organising,
- Influencing and persuading
- Sound judgement
- Commitment to continuous learning
- Cultural sensitivity
Demonstrated behaviors needed by the postholder to successfully perform the role:
- Influencing skills
- Promotes high performance
- Open to feedback
- Leads by example.
- Understands Plan’s work, and implements people processes and practices that support achievement of our objectives
- Communicates in a style that inspires confidence and professionalism and builds credibility current and prospective employees
- Flexible and committed to customer service.
Physical Environment and Demands:
May be “typical office environment”; note if heavy lifting, climbing, excess travel, etc.
This position entails 20% travelling to other Plan Cameroon program offices.
To apply for this job, kindly click on "Apply". Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- A comprehensive CV including details of two referees, one of whom should be your current of most recent supervisor
Location: Maroua – Cameroon
Closing date: December 5th, 2018
Plan international operates in an equal opportunity environment and actively encourage diversity. Only applications received in French or English will be treated and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Plan International has a Child Protection and a gender equality policies that are integral part of the recruitment process.