JOB ADVERT: Vocational Training and Livelihood Officer
Location: Maroua, EN, CM
Company: Plan International
Plan International is an independent non-profit development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it is girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Plan International Cameroon is currently advertising for the position of 01 Vocational training and Livelihood Officer for the Irish Aid (Improved education prospects for Nigerian refugee and host community children aged 0-13 in the Far North of Cameroon) Project– Maroua.
Please note that this is a local position.
Dimensions of Role:
The incumbent will assist the Project Coordinator in ensuring that the component Livelihood of the “Improved education prospects for Nigerian refugee and host community children aged 0-13 in the Far North of Cameroon » project is delivered respecting all deadlines and targets are met.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Provide leadership and expertise in the baseline and assessment of status of the livelihood component of the project (vocational training and IGA)
- Conduct a needed study on the market in and around the camp;
- Conduct regularly assessment of the satisfactory of the project beneficiaries.
- Define/update aims and objectives of the overall livelihood component of Irish Aid Project.
- Ensure that issues of protection, gender, livelihoods, DRR, Early recovery, operation and maintenance are factored into the program implementation
- Ensure PLAN’s guidelines and Sphere standards both qualitative and quantitative are considered
- Organize the training of beneficiaries on basic entrepreneurship and live skills;
- Support the creation and training of groups as basis for IGA;
- Ensure the IGA for common initiative groups;
- Ensure the all the project components activities are carry out in the field;
- Monitor that the indicators of Livelihood components of the project are implemented and delivered accordingly;
- Coordinate all related capacity building of beneficiaries with the project team.
3.Response Management and Implementation
- Work closely with the relevant implementation responsible to ensure that the implementation of relevant activities are planned and implemented in a phased and prioritized manner in full consultation and co-ordination with all relevant agencies both governmental and non-governmental.
- Ensure children and youth, gender, and disability issues are fully considered throughout the project cycle with women & children being enabled to influence decision-making around vocational training and Income Generating Activities issues.
- Provide technical supervision of vocational training and socio-professional insertion activities.
- Design and develop appropriate surveillance, monitoring and evaluation systems for all livelihood interventions in the project.
- Ensure early and rigorous implementation of quality and accountability mechanisms.
- M&E systems should reflect data on the impact of the interventions.
4.Response Reporting & Evaluation
- Evaluate the implementation of vocational training and Income Generating Activities and draft recommendations for improved program design
- Tap lessons learned from the project to improve subsequent projects
5.Information and Co-ordination
- Provide regular updates to project Coordinator and emergency team on progress, priorities and constraints – verbally and in writing on an agreed frequency.
- Engage and follow up with relevant implementation manager(s)
- Support the implementation of, and represent PLAN in, early recovery coordination mechanisms and including any relevant cluster.
- Brief updates and reports on sectoral activities/strategies to donors and other stakeholders.
6.Human Resources and Administration
- Coordinate and/or implement training and briefing of PLAN staff and stakeholders on vocational training, livelihood
Key Internal Contacts
- Project Coordinator, ERM, and emergency response team
Key External Contacts
- Other agencies and groups responding to the emergency, in particular those working in the livelihood sectors.
- Reports to project Coordinator or designate
People Skills: Ability to work independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership and is able to support and train local and international staff and also able to work with disaster affected communities in a sensitive and participatory manner.
Communication Skills: Well developed written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of PLAN. This includes effective negotiation and representation skills.
Integrity: Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to PLAN's core values and humanitarian principles.
Resilience/Adaptability and flexibility: Ability to operate effectively under extreme circumstances including stress, high security risks and harsh living conditions. Works and lives with a flexible, adaptable and resilient manner.
Awareness and sensitivity of self and others: Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity. Have experience and the ability to live and work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner. Has a capacity to make accurate self-assessment particularly in high stress and high security contexts.
Work style: Is well planned and organized even within a fluid working environment and has a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem solving skills.
Knowledge and skills:
- knowledge of PLAN policies and procedures, Sphere and the Red Cross/ NGO Code of Conduct. Requires general finance, administration, information management and telecommunication skills and proficiency in information technology/ computer skills.
- Bachelor degree in Agronomics, Social science, economics science or equivalent
- 1 year humanitarian aid experience.
- French and English language skills desirable.
- 6 month experience in the livelihood sectors applied in emergency response operations.
- Physical Environment and Demands:
- Frequent field visits, sometimes to hazardous environments and at short notice.
- Periods of intense work at all times of day and night.
- Working in multiple locations and on the move.
To apply for this job, kindly click on “Apply “. Your application should include:
- A Covering letter
- A Comprehensive CV including details of three referees, one of whom should be your current or most recent supervisor
Closing date: 25/09/2018
Plan International Cameroon operates in an equal opportunity environment and actively encourages diversity. Only applications received in French or English will be treated and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Plan international has a safeguarding children and young Policies and gender equality policies that are integral part of the recruitment process.