JOB ADVERT: Deputy Chief of Party
Project: Cameroon Strengthening Civil Society and Community Resilience Program
FHI 360 is a global development organization with a rigorous, evidence-based approach. Our professional staff includes experts in civil society, peacebuilding, health, nutrition, education, economic development, environment, and research. FHI 360 operates from 60 offices with 4,500 staff in the U.S. and around the world. Our commitment to partnerships at every level and our multidisciplinary approach enable us to have a lasting impact on the individuals, communities and countries we serve–improving lives for millions.
FHI 360 is currently recruiting for the position of Deputy Chief of Party for an anticipated five-year USAID project, Cameroon Strengthening Civil Society and Community Resilience Program, with a budget of $11 million. The goal of the project is to empower Cameroonians to address their needs through increased access to services and ability to advocate. The project is anticipated to start in early 2022.
The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) will support the Chief of Party (COP) in overseeing project implementation and will have a role in providing direct technical support to staff and partners.
The DCOP will assist the COP with the development and implementation of the project’s vision, strategy, and technical direction, ensuring timely progress against schedules, achievement and quality of deliverables, and quality of results. S/he will supervise and coordinate the technical and field activity implementation team and will serve as the secondary institutional liaison with USAID. The DCOP will be located in the project office in Maroua with regular travel within the Far North and other areas in the North where activities will be implemented. The position is contingent on funding and USAID approval.
- Assist the Chief of Party with strategic and operational planning, including work planning, and ensure project compliance with all reporting and financial requirements of USAID and FHI 360;
- Management of deadlines, drafting of reports, maintenance of records, and monitoring achievement of benchmarks in the award;
- Supervise and ensure the strong performance of a team of FHI 360 and partner staff dedicated to the project and responsible for coordinating all field activities and providing technical assistance and capacity building support to project staff, grantees, and stakeholders.
- Assist the Chief of Party in creating and maintaining good working relationships with USAID, sub-awardees, Government of Cameroon counterparts, local organizations, and other program partners;
- Establish appropriate monitoring mechanisms to ensure that activity progress and specific implementation concerns are regularly and promptly reported and that project objectives are met;
- Coordinate and contribute to all quarterly performance reports, contribute to monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) activities, and lead select activities aimed at fostering project learning and adaptive management;
- Serve as acting Chief of Party in his/her absence; and
- Manage long-term staff and short-term advisors, and partner staff dedicated to SCS-CRP, in a respectful and transparent manner, ensuring achievement of project results.
- 7 years of experience managing complex international programs (implementation, logistics, budgeting, staffing), preferably those funded by USAID;
- Fluent spoken, written, and reading abilities in English; Fluency in French; knowledge of other languages spoken in Cameroon’s Far North is preferred;
- Bachelors degree in a relevant field such as conflict resolution, international development, law, political science, or related social sciences; Master’s degree preferred.
- Demonstrated success as a project manager with organizational skills to successfully manage and coordinate large and disparate work groups;
- Experience in research, learning, and adaptive management preferred;
- Proven leadership and
- Experience implementing and providing technical assistance to civil society strengthening, peacebuilding, youth engagement, community resilience, and/or preventing and countering violent extremism (P/CVE) projects;
- Ability to develop and foster relationships with diverse local counterparts including government representatives, civil society organizations, donors, and donor-funded implementers;
- Proven human resource management skills;
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service; and
- Sound knowledge of social and political dynamics in Cameroon’s Far North and North regions.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package.
How to Apply
Candidates must submit their application, including CV, via email to CameroonSCSCRP@fhi360.org by March 11, 2022, 5:00 p.m. Cameroon time. Email subject line must include “Deputy Chief of Party/Chef adjoint du Projet”. We appreciate all interest in this position, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran with respect to policies, programs, or activities