CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Doctors Without Borders, for its activities in Kumba is looking for:
SPECIALIZED NURSE PSYCHIATRY (Psychiatric Nurse)
Doctors Without Borders (DWB) is an international non-governmental medical association providing assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions. We observe neutrality and impartiality in the name of universal medical ethics and the right to humanitarian assistance and claim full and unhindered freedom in the exercise of our functions.
Related with our activities we are looking for SPECIALIZED NURSE PSYCHIATRY
Working locations: Kumba
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Salary: According to the organisation´s Salary Grid – Level 7
Provide psychiatric support to patients in accordance withDoctors Without Borders´ principles, standards and procedures in order to improve their mental health, through training and support for doctors and nurses, as well as providing direct clinical care.
- Build and improve the capacity of identified local staff to respond to and treat patients with psychiatric illnesses:
- Support the medical doctors and nurses in screening, assessing and diagnosing psychiatric disorders.
- Support the medical doctors and nurses in the management of psychiatric disorders.
- Ensure adequate prescriptions of drugs and treatments and train the medical staff on side effects of psychotropic medication.
- Work together with the Mental health activity manager (MHAM) to strengthen the Mission's capacity for mental health activities:
- Evaluate and strengthen referral systems.
- Train psychologists, counsellors, doctors, nurses and health workers to identify cases that need psychiatric referrals support to establish a functional circuit.
- If directed, liaise with other private key organizations or the Ministry of Health regarding mental health.
- Ensure the implementation of Doctors Without Borders´ protocols.
- Train psychologists, counsellors and other key people on basic knowledge of serious mental disorders, psychoeducation and family support for patients with severe mental illness and their families.
- Support doctors and nurses to provide psychiatric support in accordance with Doctors Without Borders´ proto-cols and to improve the mental health status of patients.
- Assist and train staff to broaden the scope of mental health activities.
- Collect statistics and monitor data on mental health activities.
- Inform supervisor and the medical team of any questions or problems that may arise in connection with the treatment, in order to offer the best solution from a medical point of view.
- Guarantee the confidentiality of all information related to the patient.
Mission/context specific accountabilities
The position is flying, so the psychiatric nurse will support all DWB OCBA projects in anglophone Cameroon.
- Support doctors and nurses in DWB´s projects in North West and South West, in addition to key medical resources supported by DWB.
- Co-facilitate the MHGAP Guidelines training to DWB and non-DWB medical key persons chosen to participate in the training.
- Ensure quality of care and follow up with training participants in the different areas of NW and SW.
- When in the project, reports to the PMR of the project.
- Working in close collaboration with the MHAM while being in the projects.
- Participate as a member of the mental health team when present and offer support to national psychologists and counselors, in consultation with the MHAM.
- Liaise with DWB counselors and psychologists as well as other members of the medical team to ensure holistic care of the patients.
- Provide individual and/or group psychoeducation on different MH topics, especially severe MH disorders and combating stigma attached to them.
- Responsible for managing the stock of psychotropics in the projects and in facilitating the provision of donations agreed by the Medical Coordinator.
- Ensure that guidelines and psychotropic medications from MSF standard drug list are available in the project.
- Ensure support to the nurses in the ambulance on management of patients with agitation or self-harm/harm to others.
- Use the Doctors Without Borders´ tools in terms of reporting.
- Collect the proper information on treatment and follow up in order to monitor the provision of care.
- Share with the line manager any problem or challenge.
- Support the teams on the field during ¨One shot ¨mobile activities.
- Essential recognized nurse psychiatry degree/diploma: Desirable bachelor’s in science of Nursing
- Desirable 2 years of previous experience in psychiatry nursing
- Desirable previous experience with Doctors Without Borders or in other NGOs
- Demonstrable experience in training others in a team setting
Language: English and Pidgin English
- Results and Quality Orientation L2;
- Teamwork and Cooperation L2;
- Behavioural Flexibility L2;
- Commitment to our Principles L2;
- Stress Management L3.
All applications (CV, cover letter, diplomas, working certificates, telephone number, etc.) must be sent by email to the following address: email@example.com mentioning on the subject: SNP28112020 SPECIALIZED NURSE PSYCHIATRY or else be submitted at DWB Office, Westminster suit, Sandpit, Buea, Mile 1 Opposite Government School Mamfe or Buea-Road Beside Winners Chapel (Kumba) in a sealed envelope Ref: SNP28112020 SPECIALIZED NURSE PSYCHIATRY addressed to Doctors Without Borders - HR Department.
Deadline for the reception of applications: 21st December 2020
NB: No applications will be accepted after the deadline. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Application documents are non-returnable; please do not submit original documents. Writing tests and interviews will be done in our offices after the selection of the applications