Radio Programming Assistant/ Journalist
Job Advert: Radio Programming Assistant/ Journalist (18321)
Plan International is an independent non-profit development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it is girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Plan International Cameroon is currently advertising for the following position of Radio Programming Assistant/ Journalist – Maroua
Please note that this is a local contract.
Dimensions of Role:
The Radio Broadcast Assistant/Journalist’s responsibilities will mainly be to support the community mobilization and behavior change actions of the emergency response activities of the humanitarian community, to the Nigerian refugees, IDPs and people of the host communities in the Far-North of Cameroon.
Key End Results and Typical Responsibilities:
- Work with the PR & Communication Team and the Programs’ Team to review the Editorial Line for the radio station.
- Prepare monthly schedule for broadcast on the radio and supervise its quality implementation.
- Sources and assures the availability of content to be broadcasted on the radio.
- Assures that all external and internal content programed for broadcast is appropriate for the consumption of children and doesn’t disrespect the moral code of ethics of the radio.
- Ensure that broadcasters respect broadcast timing and maintain general moral ethics during broadcast.
- Work with the Radio Technician to ensure that broadcasts runs smoothly and that no dead air occurs during broadcast periods.
- Coach broadcasters and content producers on the need of producing content that will be appealing to listeners.
Media Coverage, broadcast and outdoor productions
- Produce and broadcast programs radio programs that are conformity with the editorial line of the radio.
- Cover humanitarian and social events and activities in the emergency response zone and produce reports/articles to be broadcasted on the radio station and other Plan International’s Communications outlets.
- Do direct live coverages from the venues of humanitarian and social events or activities.
- Participate in the production and post production of radio programs and messages by Media Clubs in the Minawao refugees’ settlement and the host communities.
- Receiving and guiding all quests of the radio station.
- Maintaining an up-to-date contact list of all guests and visitors of the radio station.
- Answering and archiving details of calls for phone-ins and competitions, where necessary.
- Collaborating with the Radio Technician in archiving past programs.
- Referring all media requests and bookings of the Radio Services to the Emergency Response Manager.
- Carryout all such duties that will promote the transparency and integrity of the Radio Station.
Coaching and training
- Contribute in the training of Media Clubs in the Minawao Refugee Settlement and Host Communities, on the conception and production of radio programs and messages.
- Contribute in the training of volunteers and interns on radio presentation and animation technics.
- Coach studio guests before and during interviews, to stimulate better output.
- Carryout other trainings as required within the framework of radio broadcasting.
- Oversee and ensure the safety of all assets of the radio station: equipment, furniture, stationaries, building, etc.
- Constantly crosscheck the assets of the radio station and immediately report any incidents.
Key Internal Contacts: Communication and Media Officer, PR & Com Advisor, Emergency Response Manager, Country Director.
Key external contacts: Radio Guests.
Reporting lines: Reports to the Communication and Media Officer and the Emergency Response Manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives:
- People Skills: Ability to work independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership and is able to support and train local and international staff and also able to work with disaster affected communities in a sensitive and participatory manner.
- Communication Skills: Well developed written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of PLAN.
- Integrity: Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to PLAN's values and humanitarian principles.
- Resilience/Adaptability and flexibility: Ability to operate effectively under extreme circumstances including stress, high security risks and harsh living conditions. Works and lives with a flexible, adaptable and resilient manner.
- Awareness and sensitivity of self and others: Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity. Have experience and the ability to live and work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner. Has a capacity to make accurate self-assessment particularly in high stress and high security contexts.
- Work style: Is well planned and organized even within a fluid working environment and has a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge and skills: knowledge of PLAN’s policies and procedures, Sphere and the Red Cross/ NGO Code of Conduct. Requires general finance, administration, information management and telecommunication skills and proficiency in information technology/ computer skills.
- At least 1 year of experience as a journalist or radio programmer.
- Multiple language skills desirable.
Technical Competencies required for this position
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or other related fields: Mass Communications, Advertising, Public Relations or any other Media related studies.
- At least 1 year of experience working as a Journalist or Radio Programmer.
- Skill in writing interesting news reports that would attract the attention of the listener.
- Skills in writing interesting articles and stories that will affect behaviour.
- Skills in conceiving and realising interesting radio programs.
- Good oral and non-oral communication skills.
- Fluent written and spoken English and French. Preference will be given to candidates who speak more than one of Plan Internationals working languages. Also, knowledge of any of the local languages of the work zone (Fulfulde or Hausa) will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of audio recording and editing will be an added advantage.
- Prior experience working with a Community Radio is an added advantage.
- Prior experience travelling to, or working in an emergency environment will be an asset.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to PLAN's values and principles.
- Ability to operate effectively in stressful situations, including working overtime.
- Gender awareness and cultural sensitivity.
- Good time management and problem solving skills.
Physical Environment and Demands:
- Work under pressure to produce results
- Keep to strict deadlines
To apply for this job, kindly click on "Apply". Your application should include:
- A Covering letter
- A Comprehensive CV including details of two referees, one of whom should be your current or most recent supervisor
Location: At the zone of PU (Maroua/Mokolo)
Closing date: 23/03/2017
Plan International Cameroon operates in an equal opportunity environment and actively encourages diversity. Only applications received in French or English will be treated and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Plan international has a child protection and gender equality policies that are integral part of the recruitment process.
Be Social, Share! :)
Offres d'emploi récentes Plan Cameroon
Chef de bureau projet social Plan Cameroon à Douala
Assisitant Administratif et Financier DAFI Plan Cameroon à Yaoundé
EiE Project Coordinator PCA4 Plan Cameroon à Maroua
Child Protection in Emergencies Field Animator Plan Cameroon à Maroua