Job Advert: Radio Technician (18281)
Plan International is an independent non-profit development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it is girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Plan International Cameroon is currently advertising for the position of Radio Technician – Maroua
Please note that this is a local contract.
The Radio Technician’s responsibilities will mainly be to support community mobilization actions of Plan International and the entire Humanitarian community in the Far-North of Cameroon, through sensitizations, for the social and economic growth of the Nigerian refugees in the Minawao settlement and the people of the host communities.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Emergency Response Manager, the Radio technician will among other tasks perform the following tasks:
- Operate broadcast equipment to ensure quality and timely broadcast of radio programs.
- Operate broadcast equipment during live broadcast to ensure quality broadcast.
- Program, broadcast and monitor all recorded programs, messages and other radio materials as programed by the Radio programmer.
- Control audio equipment in order to regulate the volume and sound quality during radio and television broadcasts.
- Monitor strength, clarity, and reliability of incoming and outgoing signals, and adjust equipment as necessary to maintain quality broadcasts.
- Monitor volume levels of broadcasters and direct them to ensure that audio levels are good for airing.
- Connect incoming phone calls during live interactive programs and ensure its quality transmission.
- Substitute programs in cases of technical problems or signals failure.
- Perform all such duties related to radio broadcasting.
- Check, transport and setup outdoor production equipment in the refugee camp and host communities and record radio programs and messages.
- Prepare the necessary equipment and work with journalists to ensure quality live broadcast of special events.
- Check, transport, setup, operate and control sound system during public events, campaigns and all related activities.
- Edit and master recorded programs and messages and all broadcast material, using computers and high quality audio editing software.
Coaching and training
- Contribute in the training of broadcasters on broadcasting technics.
- Coach studio guests before and during interviews, to stimulate better output.
- Contribute in the training of volunteers and interns on the operation of broadcast equipment.
- Carryout other trainings as required within the framework of radio broadcasting.
- Supervise appropriate and save use of all equipment in and out of the Radio Station.
- Monitor the radio antenna and transmission equipment and report any promising or already present problems.
- Perform preventive and minor equipment maintenance, using hand tools.
- Report equipment problems, and ensure that emergency repairs to equipment are made when necessary and possible.
- Carryout all necessary equipment control actions.
- Record and backup all broadcasted materials (programs, messages, information, music, etc.) for accountability when need be.
- Produce hardcopies of broadcasted materials as required.
- Carryout all such duties that will promote the transparency and integrity of the Radio Station.
- People Skills: Ability to work independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership and is able to support and train local and international staff and also able to work with disaster affected communities in a sensitive and participatory manner.
- Communication Skills: Well developed written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of PLAN.
- Integrity: Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to PLAN's values and humanitarian principles.
- Resilience/Adaptability and flexibility: Ability to operate effectively under extreme circumstances including stress, high security risks and harsh living conditions. Works and lives with a flexible, adaptable and resilient manner.
- Awareness and sensitivity of self and others: Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity. Experience and the ability to live and work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner. Has a capacity to make accurate self-assessment particularly in high stress and high security contexts.
- Work style: Is well planned and organized even within a fluid working environment and has a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge and skills: knowledge of PLAN’s policies and procedures, Sphere and the Red Cross/ NGO Code of Conduct. Requires general finance, administration, information management and telecommunication skills and proficiency in information technology/ computer skills.
- At least 2 year of experience as a radio technician or broadcaster.
Technical Competencies required for this position
- At least a National Diploma in Broadcasting or other related fields: Communications, Information Technology and Communication (ITC), Telecommunications or equivalent experience.
- At least 2 year of experience working as a radio technician, sound engineer, telecommunications technician or ICT technician.
- Strong skill in operating broadcasting equipment.
- Good audio recording and editing skills.
- Fluent written and spoken English or French. Preference will be given to candidates who speak more than one working language. Also, kknowledge of any of the local languages of the work zone (Fulfulde or Hausa) will be an added advantage.
- Prior experience working with a Community Radio is an added advantage.
- Prior experience travelling to, or working in an emergency environment will be an asset.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to PLAN's values and principles.
- Ability to operate effectively in stressful situations, including working overtime.
- Gender awareness and cultural sensitivity.
- Good time management and problem solving skills.
Physical Environment and Demands:
- Work under pressure to produce results
- Keep to strict deadlines
To apply for this job, kindly click on "Apply". Your application should include:
- A Covering letter
- A Comprehensive CV including details of two referees, one of whom should be your current or most recent supervisor
Location: Maroua PU
Closing date: March 15th, 2017
Plan International Cameroon operates in an equal opportunity environment and actively encourages diversity. Only applications received in French or English will be treated and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Plan international has a child protection and gender equality policies that are integral part of the recruitment process.
Be Social, Share! :)
Offres d'emploi récentes Plan Cameroon
Chef de bureau projet social Plan Cameroon à Douala
Assisitant Administratif et Financier DAFI Plan Cameroon à Yaoundé
EiE Project Coordinator PCA4 Plan Cameroon à Maroua
Radio Programming Assistant/ Journalist Plan Cameroon à Maroua
Child Protection in Emergencies Field Animator Plan Cameroon à Maroua