Deputy Emergency Response Manager
Job Advert: Deputy Emergency Response Manager (18221)
Plan International is an independent non-profit development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it is girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 75 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Plan International Cameroon is currently advertising for the following position of Deputy Emergency Response Manager – Maroua
Please note that this is a local contract.
The Deputy Emergency Response Manager for the Far North region will support the Emergency Response Manager (ERM) in the management of emergency programs and the associated Emergency response Team (ERT).
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Emergency Response Manager, the Deputy Emergency Response Manager will among other tasks perform the following tasks:
Assessment, Programme Design and Planning
- Support the emergency assessments implementation in accordance with the integrated emergency response plans;
- Follow up and ensure the development of all project implementation plans and budgets within the framework of the agreed emergency response programme and strategy.
- Support project design and proposal preparations for institutional and public funding.
Emergency Project Management and Implementation
- Support the ERM in the adequate monitoring, reporting and acquittal of emergency activities in accordance with PLAN DRM strategy, policies and protocols.
- Ensure that different projects and sectoral activities are implemented in a coordinated and cohesive manner.
- Ensure emergency activities are carried out in accordance with the Sphere Minimum Standards and Humanitarian Charter in disaster response.
General Management and Leadership
- Support the management of an effective teamwork and morale.
- Support the ERM in the development and implementation of the country strategy and annual operating plan.
- Support the implementation of all projects implemented in the Far North
- Support the probation of all Emergency Response personnel to understand and carry out their duties in accordance with humanitarian principles, Plan values, the Red Cross Code of Conduct and SPHERE.
- Support ERM in the management of monitoring and individual performance assessment of the Emergency Response Team staff.
- Monitor ongoing human resources issues and make to the Emergency Response Manager any recommendations and adjustments accordingly.
Public Relations / Media / Representation
- Ensure all information, publicity and fundraising material recognises and respects the dignity of disaster victims.
- On the demand of ERM, represent PLAN in all relevant fora as required.
Safety and Security
- In collaboration with Emergency Response Manager and the Security Officer ensure the compliance all ERT with PLAN Security Guidelines and their effective application in the local context.
- Monitor the operational environment with respect to increased level of threat and advise the Emergency Response Manager and the Security Officer.
Administration and Finance
- Support ERM in the management of compliance with all host country legal, contractual, labour and statutory requirements.
- Support mobilisation of financial resources related to emergency activities.
- Ensure with the ICT Officer that secure and reliable communications/ information management facilities are established and maintained.
- Ensure emergency members are familiar with usage, procedures and relevant protocols
- Support the ERM in the establishment and maintenance of a functional procurement and supply chain management system.
- Ensure with the Procurement Logistics Manager/Officer the timely and appropriate establishment of all logistics infrastructure
ABOUT YOU / Selection Criteria
- People Skills: Ability to work independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership and is able to support and train local and international staff and also able to work with disaster affected communities in a sensitive and participatory manner.
- Communication Skills: Well developed written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of PLAN. This includes effective negotiation and representation skills.
- Integrity: Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to PLAN's values and humanitarian principles.
- Resilience/Adaptability and flexibility: Ability to operate effectively under extreme circumstances including stress, high security risks and harsh living conditions. Works and lives with a flexible, adaptable and resilient manner.
- Awareness and sensitivity of self and others: Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity. Have experience and the ability to live and work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner. Has a capacity to make accurate self-assessment particularly in high stress and high security contexts.
- Work style: Is well planned and organized even within a fluid working environment and has a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge and skills: Sphere and the Red Cross/ NGO Code of Conduct. Requires general finance, administration, information management and telecommunication skills and proficiency in information technology/ computer skills.
- 2 – 3 years humanitarian aid experience.
- Degree level at least
- Bilingual (French and English).
Technical Competencies required for this position are
- Have excellent analytical, problem solving and strategic planning skills.
- Be experienced in project design, planning, proposal writing and project reporting.
- Have excellent team work skills and the ability build good relations both internally and externally.
- Have experience of staff management, training and briefing.
- Have excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Experience working as part of a team.
- Evidence of strong analytic skills.
- Computer literacy, including facility with Word, Excel, and other Microsoft Office applications.
- High level of analytical and interpretative problem solving.
- Ability to develop and implement solutions independently.
- Have practical field experience in the application of SPHERE standards.
Physical Environment and Demands:
May be “typical office environment”; note if heavy lifting, climbing, excess travel, etc.
- Work both at the office and in the field
- Frequent field visits: The Monitoring & Evaluation Coordinator will spend at least 60% of his time on the field in the context of the implementation of M&E activities
- Periods of intense work at all times of day and night.
- Working in multiple locations and on the move.
To apply for this job, kindly click on "Apply". Your application should include:
- A Covering letter
- A Comprehensive CV including details of two referees, one of whom should be your current or most recent supervisor
Location: Maroua PU
Closing date: March 17th, 2017
Plan International Cameroon operates in an equal opportunity environment and actively encourages diversity. Only applications received in French or English will be treated and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Plan international has a child protection and gender equality policies that are integral part of the recruitment process.
Be Social, Share! :)
Offres d'emploi récentes Plan Cameroon
Chef de bureau projet social Plan Cameroon à Douala
Assisitant Administratif et Financier DAFI Plan Cameroon à Yaoundé
EiE Project Coordinator PCA4 Plan Cameroon à Maroua
Radio Programming Assistant/ Journalist Plan Cameroon à Maroua
Child Protection in Emergencies Field Animator Plan Cameroon à Maroua