Seasonal Language and Cross-Culture Facilitator
Peace Corps Cameroon
Personal Service Contract Statement of Work
Position: Seasonal Language and Cross-Culture Facilitator (LCF) - (several openings)
Supervisor: Language and Cross-Culture Coordinator (LCC)
Under the supervision of the Language and Cross-culture Coordinator (LCC), the LCF position provides language / communication instruction as well as cross-culture and other support to Peace Corps Trainees living in homestay undergoing Pre-Service Training (PST). Peace Corps utilizes a community based approach in a rural setting to train Trainees. The position is seasonal covering the Peace Corps PST timeframe which typically is 4 to 8 months (non-consecutive) and based where Peace Corps training takes place. Candidates should demonstrate the ability to work and live in a rural setting with very limited resources. Teaching and cross-cultural skills are required.
The LCF will have the following roles and responsibilities:
- Language / Communication Instruction 60%
- Cross Culture and Trainee Support 40%
Language / Communication Instruction:
- Implement the formal pre-service Language curriculum, facilitating language classes for an average of 4-6 hours per day
- Develop lessons plans and support materials for language classes using Peace Corps’ adult learning methodologies, and adapt lessons according to Trainees’ needs
- Provide training in languages other than French (e.g. Fulfulde, Pidgin)
- Collaborate with Technical Trainers and other training staff to integrate all training components in language lessons
- Orient Trainees in use of various language acquisition methods
- Prepare and implement individualized activities for advanced learners and for Trainees who have learning difficulties
- Formally evaluate language progress of Trainees including weekly individual feedback to Trainees
- Maintain files of written lesson plans and handouts for all language programs
- Participate in the design and implementation of the competency-based language curriculum
- Assist the Training Manager and the Language and Cross-culture Coordinator in developing, assessing and redesigning competencies and training sessions as required
Cross-culture and Trainee Support
- Participate as a team member with other Trainers in the integrated design and implementation of the Community Based Training program (including participating in pre-training research)
- Serve as a facilitator, group member, and informant in non-language sessions (i.e. cross-culture / technical / medical / safety)
- Debrief homestay experiences with Trainees and submit written or oral reports to LCC and Training Manager
- Ensure that safety and security competencies are incorporated and actively integrated in PST and effectively delivered to PCTs so that their achievement is properly evaluated and documented
- Support the safety and security systems that are in place for PST, including reinforcing to PCTs their roles and responsibilities related to their personal safety and security
- Evaluate Trainee progress according to the Trainee Assessment Portfolio and provide feedback to Trainees using the Coach Approach methodology
- Act as counselor to Trainees and training staff Participate in non-language and cross-cultural sessions (i.e. technical/medical/safety sessions) to determine and reinforce linguistic support
- Perform any other duty assigned by LCC or TM
Education: University degree in Language, Literature, Social Sciences or related area.
Prior Work Experience: At least 3 years of language, literature teaching or adult training.
Language Proficiency: Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and French / Pidgin English or Adamaoua Fulfulde. Preference given to those with excellent verbal and written communication skills in at least two of the above languages.
Knowledge, Skills, and Attitudes:
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Work as a team member under high pressure;
- Efficiently design and deliver language and cross-culture sessions using Adult Learning Principles and the Experiential Learning Cycle.
- Skill as a trainer, facilitator, and mentor in a cross-cultural setting
- Proficiency in use of the internet and with Microsoft programs: Outlook (email), Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.
- Ability to work successfully within a multi-cultural office.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, conflict management skills, diplomacy and tact with staff, Volunteers, Trainees, community members and members of government.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and a strong sense of integrity.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS: A strong knowledge of Peace Corps, its mission, and its approach to development. Highly organized, analytical, logistics oriented, and professional with an ability to successfully network on behalf of the Program.
HOW TO APPY:
To be considered as a candidate for this position, it is required that you submit a cover letter, a resume, salary history, and at least three references to email@example.com or to the Peace Corps office in Bamenda, C/o HR with Seasonal Language and Cross-Culture Facilitator in the subject line, by midnight local time February 21st 2017.
Be Social, Share! :)
Offres d'emploi récentes PeaceCorps
Seasonal Model School Vice Principal (Francophone) PeaceCorps à Bamenda
Seasonal Model School Principal PeaceCorps à Bamenda
Seasonal Model School Vice Principal (Anglophone) PeaceCorps à Bamenda
Seasonal Education Technical Trainer (TEFL) PeaceCorps à Bamenda
Seasonal Education Technical Trainer(Science) PeaceCorps à Bamenda