Data Entry Assistant
Job Advert : Data Entry Assistant
Vacancy #: 1432
Unit: Cameroon Programme
Organization: International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
Location: Cameroon Country Programme Office, Yaoundé, Cameroon
Reporting to: Regional Director - Central Africa
Work percentage: 100%
Function group: A3
Expected start date: 01 February 2017
Type of contract: Fixed-term (12 months with possibility of renewal)
Closing date: 31 December 2016
TRAFFIC, the wildlife trade monitoring network, works to ensure that trade in wild animals and plants is not a threat to the conservation of nature. We actively monitor and investigate wildlife trade and provide information to diverse audiences worldwide as a basis for effective conservation policies and programmes. TRAFFIC is a strategic alliance of the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) and the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and is an international network.
TRAFFIC has developed a comprehensive trade database named the Wildlife Trade Information System (WiTIS), that stores and analyses specific trade related information. Using this information, it is possible to understand illegal trade trends that develop. The TRAFFIC database allows for the gathering of information from source sites and along the trade chain for central collation, monitoring and analysis.
TRAFFIC also manages a system called AFRICA-TWIX (Africa Trade in Wildlife Information exchange) which consists of two complementary components: the database, which records CITES offences, and the Mailing List, which serves as a platform to quickly and easily exchange information and expertise.
Working within a small team in Yaoundé, and in coordination also with a small team based in Europe, the Data Entry Officer will be responsible for inputting information in an accurate and consistent manner into the WiTIS database as part of the ‘Reducing trade threats to Africa’s wild species and ecosystems (RETTA) through strengthened knowledge and action in Africa and beyond’ project as well as into the AFRICA-TWIX database, and support the AFRICA-TWIX Project Manager. Time will be split evenly between these two projects, although in some cases work will be relevant to both.
- Support the management of the AFRICA-TWIX Mailing List Server;
- Support the maintenance of the AFRICA-TWIX Website;
- Support the AFRICA-TWIX Project Manager with the organisation of any other AFRICA-TWIX activities;
- Collect and input information (most of which will be confidential/sensitive) regarding trade related enforcement actions;
- Input existing data provided by the AFRICA-TWIX Project Manager on seizures and market surveys from TRAFFIC staff across the globe, clean it and enter it into the database; and input existing data received from other existing databases e.g. (WCO) as appropriate;
- Provide constructive feedback on use of the AFRICA-TWIX database upon request;
- Input data relevant to the RETTA project into the WiTIS database adhering to all relevant protocols.
- Information that is entered must be accurately geocoded to enable mapping exercises at a later stage;
- Support the production of trade and trend analyses;
- Review data for deficiencies or errors, correct any incompatibilities if possible and check outputs.
- Must be eligible to live and work in Cameroon
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a related subject
- Minimum of one year’s experience with the collection and collation of data
- Experience of database software is desirable
- Excellent IT skills, particularly in Excel
- An eye for detail and a keen interest and ability to recognise connections between data
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively as part of a diverse team as well as independently, with respect for and sensitivity to multi-cultural approaches
- Familiarity with, and an interest in, conservation, particularly trade issues
- Fluency in French and English is essential and will be tested for interviewed applicants.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST).
IUCN, International Union for Conservation of Nature, helps the world find pragmatic solutions to our most pressing environment and development challenges.
IUCN works on biodiversity, energy, human livelihoods and greening the world economy by supporting scientific research, managing field projects all over the world, and bringing governments, NGOs, the UN and companies together to develop policy, laws and best practice.
IUCN is the world’s oldest and largest global environmental organization, with more than 1,200 government and NGO members and almost 11,000 volunteer experts in some 160 countries. IUCN’s work is supported by over 1,000 staff in 45 offices and hundreds of partners in public, NGO and private sectors around the world.
Be Social, Share! :)
Offres d'emploi récentes IUCN
Programme Officer IUCN à Yaoundé
Science and Research Officer IUCN à Yaoundé
Driver-Mechanic IUCN à Yaoundé
Assistant Administratif et Comptable IUCN à Yaoundé
Chef de Projet IUCN à Yaoundé